mix and match

gary

My question couldnt be simpler or more basic.
Can you mix any type of Transmitter and Receiver ie Futaba tx, Hitec rx etc, or do you need to match exact manufacturers.
Also can anyone recommend a suitable book on R/C or model aircraft setup in general.

Advert

Yes you can mix certain receivers with Futaba transmitters but you have to use a Futaba receiver crystal.Not sure about other manufacturers, only because I use Futaba.I'm sure another user will post here soon Gary. Regarding a book...I find the internet to be the best.Good luck.

Most aftermarket Rx (JeTi,GWS etc) will work with most brands of Tx, but it seems that the major brands can give problems if mixed.
I fly JR but I have used, jeti, GWS, Webra, Multiplex,Hitec,and Falcon micro receivers with no problems, BUT when setting up models for others I have found that my Jr Tx will not work some Futaba and Sanwa rx.
Incidentally this only works for PPM set ups. PCM receivers will only work with the same brand Tx.
Chris

Aslan
That isn't totally correct - you must only use the manufacturer's own (or where appropriate recommended) crystal in a Rx. E.G. I use JR, Futaba and Fleet Txswith a mix of RXs - but each Rx has its manufacturers crystal, not a crystal from the Tx manufacturer.

Mike

Yeah Mike I'm sure you"re right, I was just talking about my experience with Futaba and any different rx I used I found I had to use a Futaba xtal....Think it was a Hitec Rx in one case.Can't think what the other was,but yeah certainly food for thoujght.

I've got to buy my first radio from scratch, so basically need everything. Not sure whether to hunt round and buy 2nd hand kit but a new receiver, or bite the bullet and weigh in for all new.
I was looking at the Futaba 6EXP at £135.00. It comes with all i need to get me up and running. I'm starting with a wing soarer so only need 2 servo's and 2 channels and the kit comes with a 6ch receiver and 4 servo's(have to have elevon on the Tx). Does this sound a reasonable choice.

gary

Your choice of radio sounds very good, there are one or two sets in the club and they work well.
Second hand sets are not really the best choice unless a) you know the seller and have seen the set in operation with one of his models or b) have a good guarantee from a model shop but that won't cover a wrecked model. Go the extra bit for a new set.
I []don't think that a flying wing is a wise choice. Not as easy to fly, orientation would be a problem for a learner (It can be for an expert in some lights)Harder to trim out and set up.
I would go for a conventional model for you first one.

I've currently got a "park" flyer which i'm learning the basics on.It's a bit underpowered but great in really light/no wind situations. There are several people at my local site who fly the particular wing model i've brought and all have offered to help if they can. The designer also flys locally and he's offered to help as well if required.
However, i appreciate your comments and hopefully wont come unstuck with my choice.
By the way, opted for a new Futaba 6EXP in the end, at least i know its all going to work!