Flair Cub

Antony Wright

Have been watching all your posts about the cub with great interst. I have had mine over 12 years and it was my first trainer.
I have flown all sorts of planes up to big petrol jobbies and this winter I am going to re furb my cub and was thinking of going down the 52 4 stroke route. Have seem one on u tube with a 52 4 stroke with a 11 x5 prop and it flies great.

So I am going to re engine mine with the same..was also thinking of fitting it inverted so its not sticking out in the breeze. This will be the third time its been re covered and this time I'm going for cub yellow.

Really am looking forward to getting it back in the air and remember how well they fly..my best flight was a low pass slip streaming down the full lenght of the strip about 4" off the ground...

Rick
There are a couple of pics on my album ot my yellow cub with black tapered stripes ,brilli\ant for visibility. I agree that if I built another ,then I would modify the front end ,probably side mounted and a dummy cylinder too .Also the windscreen to wing joint to make it a bit more "scalish" .Just realised I've now had it 5 years & still good as new (touches balsa quickly).Put bigger wheels on (3 1/2") for my rough grass runway since moving .

Hi Myron....was thinking something on the same lines about the visablity issue. Also going to stick a dummy engine on it. With the 52 inverted I now have a full cowl with nothing sticking up.

As far as the grunt from the 52 is concerned am intending just waft around with it...have plenty of planes for throwing all over the sky....

My best so far was my extreeme flight yak54 with a 30cc AMS petrol in it...changed over to a new tranny and didnt realise I had set it for 60% + expo....couldnt work out why it felt like I was always on the verge of crashing..only had to breathe on the sticks and the bloody thing was all over the place.. It wasnt until I put another model on the new tranny I realised what was going on.

Will get some pics done and put it on the site.

Thanks Rick

My Flair Cub.

Must be 15 years old now! Has had 4 different engines in it, and about 2 extra rolls of Solartex

Over the years she has been up a tree in a ditch and various other places.

The engine in the picture is not the current unit. Yep thats an MDS40 in there. Long since gone.

Reading through this thread is making me think its time for a full refurb.

Edited By Kevin Fairgrieve on 12/11/2011 07:58:56

• 1 month later...