Under-powered Boomerang

Hamish

Some time ago I did a posting relating to the salvaging of my Boomerang.  Being an old Stockcar man I think i went overboard in strengthening the frame. and with a MK3 Irvine 40 it has been a handful to fly apart from the fact that I cannot get the Irvine to be consistent (Not given up yet) and I thought it was time to try something different.

I am a great Ebay man and sometime ago picked up an ASP53 for a tenner (As an aside I got an OS 40 Max FP for  £7.99 this week, including postage, and after a clean up it is an absolute dream.  At the sight of the starter motor it burst into life and ticked over like a Singer sewing machine).  Anyway, I thought I would give it a try.  Well on take off, if OTIS elevators think they are market leaders in lifts then they have got opposition, as she went straight up no bother.  The only problem was, that I suffer from Harley Davidson Syndrom, and everthing has to be removed and cleaned and cleaned and cleaned and I did not properly secure the throttle stop(?) screw which fell out and left me at 75% full throttle with no speed control.  Being on my own at the field i worked out I would just need to do circuits and keep some hight to dead stick when the fuel gave out. 

Has anybody ever run the tank on a Boomerang dry.  It seemed to take about 20 minutes and to a novice this is a long, long time.  Anyway, it did cut out eventually and I did get it safely into the field although I was shaking a bit.

As a tight fisted Scotsman I thought about looking for the screw but in the acres of oil seed rape, decided that it was not a good idea and I would have to fork out the expense of a new screw.

Sorted the throttle linkage out last night and went to the field this evening.  What a difference all that power gives you.  It is now so much easier to fly and you no you can power yourself, upwards, out of trouble.  I now coast arround at about 1/3 throttle and no I have spare.  Perhaps being underpower with the Irvine has brought my abilities on a bit but I was concerned that uping the power would have created more problems but it has not.

My apologies for rambling on but was down at Wigan last week and brought back some Telleys Smooth Flow, so , well.

Advert

Mine had a Irvine 46 and it was perfect even after adding some weight on the repair. I'm keeping that engine for my next project. My other trainer has a Thunder Tiger 46 and I never get near full throttle on that. Actually I think it's a bit much!

They do have big tanks those boomers Well done for getting it down, I think I would have been frazzled after 20 minutes wondering when it was going to stop.

I've got a Irvine 53 in my Boomerang and i'm glad i have....it is a great little engine with heaps of grunt and will be just fine for putting in something bigger when the time comes. The SC52 in my XT 40 is just perfection. I think i will always err on the side of extra power (within reason obviously) where engines are concerned.

What I forgot to add was that once the Boomer was down I took my Cub up for a more sedate flight.  Guess what, the throttle stuck open, the plastic clip had broken.  This was another 20 minutes flight, however a bit easier and a very easy gliding in dead stick as is was quite windy and the Cub seems to glide forever

I have now looked at all my linkage to ensure they are not worn or taking undue strain.

Roll on next time out and find out what adventure awaits

Flew my second second hand one if that makes sense. It has an SC-40 (I think) up front and it is so much nicer to fly that my Tiger Trainer. Not too much power, can fly fast or slow, nice to control and pretty much viceless. 

The tiger is being relegated to a spare, this one is going to take me through my test. Great little trainer that cost me buttons full of radio and engine as well

The only issue is the nose wheel Stephen, it's clearly had a bit of an arrival. I'm going to change it for a straight one and just use the inner hole of the servo so it doesn't move much. That's what my instructor recommended.

Edited By Alex Leigh on 10/05/2009 12:39:50

Ive actually fixed my nose wheel to not move but have yet to try it.Iwas torn last night.Arrived at the field and to other beginners were there 1 Boomerang and 1 Wot Trainer and myself with my Mentor.I took off with the Mentor and couldnt believe what it did ,it took off in about 15 feet and went up vertically until of course it stalled and arrived back just as quckly .It started to get lift but caught the under carriage,a bit of damage in 10 seconds.I had the Boomerang in the car but have never taken off with it, but flown it lots with my instructor.I managed to leave it in the car and sat fuming as I watched the other to enjoy themselves. I repaired the Mentor but the front wing bolt sheared off and I need to fit a bigger one as the thread on the bolt embedded in thfuselage has stripped.

I have a Irvine 40 in my boomer too, it flies great and I seem to have ample power, don't forget this is meant to be a trainer, so I not sure it can handle more power, it seems to motor on ok past me on a flyby at full power, though I'd like to try some loops etc do you think the rubber bands will take the strain ok?

My front wheel is fixed too, Stephen, apart from the hassle of carrying it's to and back from takeoff / landing position, it's been no problem!

I brought it 2nd hand, and I noticed the servo horn on the rudder / nose wheel had broken off and had just been screwed to the fuz, I must admit I'm tempted to fit it back to the servo, or leave it fixed .......your thoughts please?

Edited By Delta Whiskey on 11/05/2009 09:14:30

Good day today,No wind and I was allowed to take off and land my Boomerang for the first time.Found both fairly straight forward.I landed on the edge of the landing strip and it was explained to me that where I was standing every one lands there I need to stand further back and ill be able to land in the middle then.

Stephen - My Mentor had a heavy landing the other day resulting in a couple of cracks at the wing end of the cockpit hatch. This has been repaired but it dented my confidence that the Mentor is both bulletproof and that it will see me through my A cert. I do not want to resurrect my Tiger Trainer 2 unless I really have to....

Nick Im in exactly the same position,Ive caught my Mentor undercarriage and its twisted the fuz,Im not sure how I can straighten it.Im going to Blackbushe  Model A/C show Saturday I might be able to pick up a n unwanted Mentor because I find it such a perfect model and wanbted mine to take me to my "A" as well.Having taken off and landed the Boomerang today I feel In a much better frame of mind,so heres hoping