SC30FS - Compression

bertie

I have a new to me but used SC30FS in very tidy condition. I am however puzzled by its lack of compression, or low compression. I have tried to hand start it, but no luck. Tickle it with an electric starter and she is away, as sweet as a nut. Good throttling, good top end (10500rpm on a 10 x 4) and sweet idle. I may be worrying unecessarily, but the engine just doesn't feel right with no, or very low compression! Any one out there with a similar experience?

Advert

hello bertie-i'm no expert-i own a couple of 4st's-if it run's ok-that's all you want-if you really think there's something not right-take off the rocker cover and check the tappet clearence...ok...that's it run and enjoyo..................10.500/sweet idle what more could you want....................
          ken anderson.............. 

Bertie
Just how little compression?
Small 4 strokes can suffer from specs of carbon getting under the valve seats preventing an air tight seal but do check the tappet clearances as well.
If you can get the engine running at all it will probably clear itself and the compression will return. If it doesn't, then some work will be required. 

Many thanks for the replies.  The engine is now installed in a model and I have run it up okay. Still very little compression, but starts okay on my electric starter, and seems to run fine. The tappits are loose (I used an O.S. set of feeler gauges which came with my first generation O.S. 40 FS years ago). So I will use the engine and see what happens!

Happy flying, and thanks once again

Bertie