TV Bloopers

Former Member

The Thames van I metioned was abot 1953.Your talking the flat fronted Thames Van Phil.I had the same car Transporter wuth a Zodiac engine ans column change,and didnt it go.I was stock car racing at the time and a bit of banger racing as well,and you could stick any thing on the back.Changed it for an AA  transporter with a petrol V6.We fitted a Capri 3.0S engine in that When I took up Formula Ford racing I had the Ford Fairmont Estate,Australian with a V8.that towed well.Then the a series Transit with the York engineDiesel would only start with loads of Diesal Start. Do you remember ford fitted it in the cab and you fitted the canister in the cab ,so when you started you could press the can in the cab at the same time,what a bodge.It would do 80 mph down hill and 30 mph up hill.took forever to get anywhere

Advert

Going back to Redex. There was another similar liquid called Carburol. I used to get a kids magazine (when I was a small kid) there was an advert in it where you could join the Carburol club and get badges and things like that. My brother wanted to join as well so I sent the form off. The membership came back as Pandr Bond.
There was also a solid fuel additive like a big OXO cube that you put into a full fuel tank. Anyone remember what it was called?

I'm sure I have inherited some of your" Repaired "cars years ago .I just hope you didn't inherit a certain TR7 with a literally Howling gearbox .It was fixed temporily with some magic formula additive to the gearbox Can't remember its name now & it wasn't cheap  but what a good temporary fix ! Needless to say the filler application and its appeal / shape sold it .One of the best profits I ever made from Westbury auctions '
Please someone tell me in analogue language how to put photos on the forum to back up what I say !!

Its interesting Myron  the way I now do it once I have the photos on the computer is admiistrator,pictures down load to your Gallery then from gallery to post using the mountain picture 2nd right above this writingIcant do photo bucket or any of those.administrator could be different,you could store under your name.I am crap with a computer ,so I feel for you ,but I have to put pictures on my adverts so I have to persevere Good luck if all fails play a tune,I would love to play the Guitar but I hold it left handed so its upside down

stephen did you race at aldershot stadium, we used to go there thursday nights in the late 60,s and early 70's the driver we bought the thames off was called keith shelfer we supported foxy dance no 70. nigel king was the commentator, other drivers i recall were derry warrick and son mick duffy collard jimmy hazelgrove (old family friend) bought at least ten old bangers from him over the years. i used to drop my mum at her sisters in borden on the way, they used to play scrabble till i picked mum up on the way back. stock car racing was my favourite form of racing them days i once took my dads old 100e van round the track in a three lap time trial managed to get it up on two wheels and then thought if it rolla over what am i going to tell my dad she dropped back on four wheels and i never dared to try again

once bought a vauxhall carlton estate for£275 i only got it because it started to pour with rain and i had cycled five miles to have a look at it i paid cash threw my bike in the back and drove it home the car had 3 months tax and mot i had decided i didnt like the beast so put a for sale sign on it straight away for £700 ono and started to give it a clean and polish just as i finished a local school teacher walked past he said thats just what i am looking for can you run me home to get the money, i ran him home and he paid the full price and dropped me back home he was pleased with his car and i was over the moon i had had the car less than 4 hours

Phil,
I used to go to Tongham Stadium back in the early '70s - they always paraded the cars to 'Mouldy Old Dough' IIRC.  I remember Mick (Duffy) Collard and I think it's his son, Rob who is now driving in the BTCC. I wonder how many yellow reflective jackets would now be needed for a Destruction Derby?
There was another side to it all, of course. I pulled a van trailering a 'Destruction Derbied' Morris Oxford near Hook one day. I checked it out and it had been stolen from an elderly chap in a retirement home a few days before. The car had been in A1 condition for its age. It was the chap's pride and joy. When I took him to the nick to identify it he just broke down and cried. The old boy never did get any justice as the toerag who nicked it skipped his bail and was eventually locked up for shooting someone, so the theft of the car faded into insignificance.........
My first car was a 1963 Mini (just an 850) called Daisybell.She had hooded headlamp rings and some very modest wheel spacers.  Used to drool over Car and Car Conversions each month, although I didn't have the knowledge or the cash to do all I would have liked. I recall thinking that the screen washers weren't that effective, so I bought some sooper dooper bar washers which pumped the screenwash from numerous holes the length of the wiper blades. The only problem was that they emptied the washer bottle in about ten seconds

Pete

hi pete moudy old dough,tears of a clown,band of gold. good old sing along music, great racing and good times. do you remember nigel king the commentator he used to race agaist foxy dance before he started on the mike, he used to hate foxy winning and alwats said it was a fluke win, so one bonfire night meeting they told us to bring guy;s of the drivers you didnt like and they would put them on the fence posts to get hit by the cars. we made a guy of nigel but instead of tieing him to a post we hung him from a concrete post on the dog track, we even used a proper noose and put a note on him saying here hangs the body
             of nigel king
             denouncing foxy
            was his thing
            the way he preached
            you would think
            he;s the pope
            so we hung old nige
            on the end
           of a rope
nigel read the note out over the tannoy and when they lit the bonfire foxy came over took him down kicked him you know where and threw him on the fire  regards phil

my eldest brother had an old mini van he came down to visit us from croydon for a week and we decided to give the van a make over, we gave it large wheel spacers made some  spats from two motor bike ally mudguards split down the middle and pop rivetted on. with a lot of p38 to fair them in. the van was then sprayed with hammerite grey metalic paint and looked ace. we fitted a jaguar wood rim steering wheel with a home made boss this looked daft as it was huge but my brother was small so there was room for it we lowered the steering column and put in an old racing seat on blocks so he could see . the van looked good and he went home a happy bunny, he came down a few weeks later  and all four spats were creased, he had done his usual thing and gone for a smaller gap than he thought, there was no marks on the other paintwork and with the spats  the van was only four inches wider than standard. we were not to happy with him and he legged it back to croydon pdq to avoid the flak and stinging sarcassum that his four brothers can produce at every opportunity