Are 8MP camera phones any good?

I like to have a decent cam' phone with me as you never know when they'll come in handy. I'm thinking of changing the phone from a 5MP cam phone to 8MP. I used to have a 3.2MP Sony and it was fine but the jump to 5MP wasn't very spectacular in terms of results so I wondered if anyone is using an 8MP Sony, and whether the jump from 5MP to 8 is worth the bother? ....if that makes sense!

Advert

Not too sure about camera phones in particular (just know the camera on the Iphone is AMAZING!) But, I think the difference between 5MP and 8MP is quite noticeable. For instance, heres a piccy taken with my 5MP camera Upside down TT trainer(bare in mind zoom) And a picture taken with a clubmates Higher MP Camera (at least I think it is!) Windy Landing. I can see better clarity in the pictures, and IMO, im a bit dissapointed with the performance of my now 4 Year old camera.

David, Not a photographer unless you count happy snaps. I would think that the optics are the limiting factor on a camera phone. 

I have a 3MP phone and compared the output to a photo on the HDD from days of yore when i was still 35mm and the wife had a 1.3MP happy snapper.  The 1.3MP beat the camera phone hands down for quality.

Might be wrong but it seems to be the case for the quick and dirty experiment i have just done.

Best guess would be probably not as much gain as you might hope for...

Edited By Andy Freeman on 07/06/2009 22:24:03

Hi David

I have a Sony Ericsson Cybershot which is 5 Meg. I personally think it is no better than my old 2 meg Panasonic for photo quality. As commented above I think its down to the lense.

I would say as a rule of thumb is to basically purchase a camera with a phone added - than a phone with the camera added. If you get my meaning. It depends really on your priorities for the device.

There are hundreds of review sites on the web for mobiles. Its just a case of seeing what other people think before you make your decision.

Al

On a second note

I watched an episode of the Gadget show the other week. I do not know how old the program was - but they did a a review under all conditions between the iPhone and a equivalent range Nokia.

They commented that although the iPhone had "must have and sexy appeal" to it - what let it down was on the camera side - it didn't have a flash or video facility which limited the camera side of the phone.  I would say check out the new one first to see if they have uprated it.

• 3 years later...

Camera phones have tiny sensors and packing that many MP into such a small sensor HAS to be adding unneccesary noise to the image.

Jump on Digitalrev.com and have a look at some of the tutorials relating to sensor size.

But I will not claim that having a decent camera phone (phone camera) is a bad thing.

Cheers,

Hugh