Tony Nijhuis Racing Duo

Hi everyone been a way for a while so thought I'd try my hand at this smart little plane by tony this will only be my second bud my first one wasn't exactly a great success is it ok if I post my build and I get stuck if any of you wonderful builders who are building it will be able to give me help and advice as when I need it ? I still struggle to undrsstand what certain things mean ? So far I've cut out the wings parts 1 to 4 but not glued them together am I right in thinking that I cut the airleon out after I've glued all the wing parts together ?

Advert

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe a dumb question, as it may have be mentioned elsewhere and maybe I could measure it out myself but just to be safe, how far along the fuse are formers 18 and 19 positioned for the Midget Mustang

ps. My all-time favourite, of all planes I've built is Tony's Aerovan - with two brushless motors and 2nd TN favourite is the Spitfire, although initially intimidated by it, we are now best friends,  especially when it comes time to land    

Hi,

I was thrilled when my first edition of RCME arrived with the Mustang plans a few weeks back.  The plane is now cut out and construction is underway. Would love to show a picture but the shop needs a clean first.

I don't have a 25 plain bearing motor but I do have a surplus, well used OS 46LA.  The OS website says that a 46 LA is about 75gm heavier that the 25 LA (without the muffler), which seems like a pretty small difference.

My question is - for this plane, if some is good, is more better?  The 46 LA could run on a 10" prop, the rx battery can be moved back and I'm not one for long flights.  Opinions?

Thanks,

CanuckAussie

Hi Doug, I was thinking the same thing.  I'll upgrade the area with some 6mm ply and re-work those forward doublers to fit. 

All the light ply doublers formers could be drilled out to compensate for the weight but that sounds like a lot of work.  Will have a think about it.

Midget Mustang:
I've gone the electric route and connected the nose plate to the firewall with four hardwood dowels. So far it has been rough sanded.

I haven't got to building up and shaping the underside of the nose. I had a spare 64 mm spinner so I made the nose this size instead of the normal 68mm

Another change I am contemplating is to have the wing removable by having a hardwood block in front of former 17 where I can have a blind nut. I'll have two blind nuts where the undercarriage/wing would have normally been glued.  It will be easier to store and transport and also I don't have to put too much time in making a removable cockpit 

Got some serious miles in on the 'big block' midget mustang over the weekend.

The upgraded 6mm firewall came out nicely and the fuselage doublers in the nose were trimmed by about 3mm to compensate.  Drilled the firewall for fuel lines and a motor mount prior to installation and inserted four blind nuts on the backside - should make it easier down the line.

The fuselage formers, sides, new firewall and all doublers went together without any incidents. 

I like Steve's idea on the removeable wing.  The removeable canopy looks like it is going to want to bend out of shape once it gets cut out.  Will think about it over the next few days.

Still no pictures as the workshop is a mess.  Will try to sort something out over the next few days.

This plane is building very quickly.

CanuckAussie

Right - just figured out why the design has a removable canopy - if you do a removeable wing you'll need to attach the aileron servo to it, rather than the fueslage, or else muck around with the connection each time the wing comes off.  I'm having second thoughts.

A question for Tony - the fuselage uses a lot of quite thick balsa plus lite ply formers.  The construction is actually more robust than a 60-sized Extra which is also underway in my workshop.  Why so heavy-duty? Just curious.

• 3 weeks later...
 RE Cosmic Wind &Midget Mustang                                                                                               What glue wing to fuz?
What  glue for wing bandage?

Control throws..... Ailerons look to be each way, but unsure about elevator and rudder.  Are they each way or total?

Would appreciate clarification

Ta

• 2 months later...