Good review, David, the flash is certainly another great performer from RC factory.

However, I would question the flash''s indoor suitability (paragraph 2) even in large halls due to its weight. Most indoor specific models are about a quarter of the 13-18 ounces quoted in the review which places the flash firmly in the outdoor only section. Also, there is no headwind (however slight) to slow a model down indoors which can give a false impression of its flying speed indoors.

Can i suggest that the Clik V2.0 (another Kjovsky design) would be better suited indoors coming out at 120-140g and having speed brakes on the ailerons. This is much more suited to indoor flight. 

Advert

Yes good review david. I have one of these (yellow and Black) my son has the (Red and Black)  I have actually flown mine in quite strong winds - good fun!

I have dual rated the throws on my sons to 50% and I am teaching him to fly with it as a trainer. He loves it!  - my comments

I agree about the wheel spats - I have taken mine off too!

I have done a couple of mods to mine. I have replaced the servo to control horn threads with 2mm carbon fibre rods to take out the slop on the rudder and elevator. You will be amazed the difference it makes to the flying characteristics. - everything is snappy and tight.

The undercarriage mount is very weak on the model. I have rectified this by adding a aluminium plate to the top of the horizontal part of the fusalage and bolted the carbon fibre U/C through the fuselage to this.- the U/C assembly is  now steady as a rock.

As far as breaking it goes - The other week I had forgot to set the timer. I looked down at the TX to set the timer (doh!).  The model was in a vertical dive - I pulled it up to quickly and snapped the wings off and well you Know the rest - it didn't fly anymore!  My fellow flyers thought it was quiet amusing. Strange - I had punished it alot more in the past. The carbon wing spars snapped- perhaps I had weakened them previously.

Still - Superglued the wings back on at home and replaced and beefed up the wings with new 2mm carbon rods. Job done - RTF again. If that had been a balsa or a the usual polysterene jobbie - it would have gone home in a bin bag.

If you ever consider getting one of these you will not be disapointed.  I was so impressed I bought another one for the lad (his money!!) and made the mods as above to his. As I have commented before - you can use this as a trainer or take it to full 3D as what it is designed for.

Al

PS I also agree this is a outdoor shockie and not suitable for indoor.I also have a Click 2 for indoor. The two models are totally different beasts! 

Edited By Alan B on 24/06/2009 22:52:36

• 1 month later...
I suppose its like most foamies when you open the box.  Why have I just spent that much money on a few bits of foam/carbon and  metal.  At the end of the day you are paying for the design and the end result.  In this case a very versatile and box full of fun product.  I have had mine for about a year now.  It always goes in the car when I head off to the flying field in addition to anything else I'm flying that day.  I even took it on holiday 3 weeks ago and flew it on the beach in the evenings.

It will cost you about £100 to set it up plus your choice of receiver. I think personally it is a brilliant model and it always attracts alot of interest from fellow flyers and onlookers. I've made a few mods to mine as above. Its a good old faithful and flys in anything other than very extreme weather conditions.

I like to push my skills with this one because I'm secure in the knowledge that if I was ever going to prang it - it wouldn't be going home in a bin bag.

Al

The more I fly my Flash, the more I like it.
It's such a cheeky and yet highly capable performer which is guaranteed to put a smile on your face.  It's great value for money and a lot of fun.

It is also a great 3D trainer for anyone wanting to learn to more "twiddly" aerobatic manoeuvres close the ground, without the fear of writing off several hundred pounds worth of model. 
If the Flash crashes, it usually bounces, but if it does break it can usually be fixed with a couple of drops of cyano and be flying again very quickly......... and it's cheaper than a simulator.

B.C.