Tip needed on securing servo extension leads

at the moment every time i attach the wing on one of my planes i have to tape the servo extension together as its feels a little bit of a loose fit ,anyway i seem to remember reading a tip in a mag on how to tie the cable around the socket so it held evething in place but i cant remenber how it was done ,if any knows it would be very helpful thankyou

Advert

Hi Austen, Ken has the right idea. I have been using the heat shrink tubing idea for quite a few years now. It's ideal too, when you are trying to get an extended servo lead through a wing centre.  I get mine from Maplins stores and its very good and firm, but easy to take apart again if neccessary.

Try it and see what you think. The beauty of it is  it dos'nt make the servo connection bulky.

Happy flying. 

Sorry Peter, I read your posting after I had sent mine.  I should have read Austen's post more carefully. You are right, he only needs a temporary solution.  I must get a better pair of glasses. That's the trouble with  old wrinklies like me (68).

Sorry.

i think tims suggestion suits my needs best ,as i need to unplug the wing after a flying session .but if any knows the tieing method that would be ideal it envolves wraping  the cables round somehow then connecting the two, il see if i can dig out the mag (dont think it was rcme)

Edited By austen rover on 25/06/2009 10:16:36

Austin,
Why not get a small piece of balsa (say twice the length and similar width to the sockets when joined) lay the connectors together and zip tie on the cable at each end to the balsa, this will hopefully help, and if still concerned put a loop of slack on the clip side of the cable tie and this should provide an anti-shock capacity.

But thats still not exactly reusable and quick and easy to do at the field.
As I said earlier, I use ASHLOK connectors on all my "removable" plugs and sockets, as they are secure, and offer multiway connectors for multiple servos too
- see this example here of a 14 way version I use on my Spitfire wing.

The downside is that you need to fit the correct plugs and sockets to the wiring, and need a decent crimping tool to perform this. 

So.... the best solution in austen's case is these, as they simply clip over stanadard servo connectors