Ripmax Spitfire EP

Kelly

• 1 month later...
Advert

Following on from my balancing issues....

I didn't want to put in a larger battery, so I re-jigged the motor mount to get the battery right up into the nose, put some re-enforcing into the nose cone which had been showing some wear and tear, and balanced it spot on... still have to weigh the finished product, but took it our for a test flight and it was fantastic! Never flown anything so solid, looks fantastic too. unbeleivable!

Thanks for starting the posts, without this I would still have it sitting on the shelf! Now I can't wait to get out there again!! 

What's your thoughts on the nylon bolt to fasten the wing?? - I had a slightly harder landing than anticipated and was very pleased with a sheared off bolt and no damage... but looking for a replacement I see that many people don't like them at all following catastrophic failures in flight... I can't see the wing getting that much of a shear force in flight myself...

Anyone any experience of problems or otherwise with the bolt?

• 1 year later...
I fly a rebuilt Balsacraft Spitfire (see page 2 I think of this thread) from a dolly like Leccys (page 5).
I suffer from a regular sharp left turn as it gains speed, so much sop that I now generally set off cross wind, and it could be the wind weather cocking the model straight.

What I think is happening is this. The forward push above the front wheels is lifting the tail wheel so I have no ground steering. Then the motor torque is pushing the left wheel into the ground causing more drag and my left turn.

So questions are:- Does yours do it? Is my theory anything like right? What can I do about it to make it at least appear more predictable to other people.

Cheers
Chris

Chris

That's interesting.

Though some of my take offs (without a dolly) do incorporate a sharp left (or right) turn, I've always accounted for that as weathercocking. That's my excuse, anyway.

My dolly tends to behave very predictably, without the behaviour you've described.

My dolly take offs for my Cambrian Spitfire normally take the form of a very gentle curve to the right - as I set the rear wheel to promote that, in the absence of rudder, but I definitely experienced a sharp right turn on Sunday with my FW190 which was a sharp turn into a rapidly switching wind. When I went to pick up the dolly, it was facing in the direction from which it had come!

It could be that your nose is a bit further in front of the front axle, lifting that tail wheel as you say. Perhaps if you moved the foam cradles back a touch it would help keep the tailwheel grounded?