Airbus A400 - Anyone else built one

Craig

It looks very good and it flies well, only hope mine does as well as yours, now to pick your brains, I have had a mixed message as to what I should power it with, I was looking at a Flightpower Evo-pro Lite at 18.5v 5200Ah 5 cell with matching speed controller, but my local shop thinks more like two batteries and two controllers, what did you settle for as it is working well.

Gordon

Advert

Hello Gordon,

As I recall the all up weight of the model is in the region of 10 pounds. I stuck to the 100watt per pound rule of thumb which for the type of model is a bit much for scale but I figure you can always throttle back (which I didnt do in the video )

Therefore to achieve my set up I used 4 x250watt Turnigy outrunner motors. You will need to use a speed controller per motor though when driving brushless motors (so four of). Again I used Turnigy ESCS

Extend the wiring between the motor and speed controllers not the battery to ESC (you could probably site them underneath the middle of the wing.

Used two 4000mah LIPO batteries 3S........ One battery drives the two inboard motors, the other drives the two outboard motors (so in theory if any variance or one battery should pack up you dont lose symmeticral thrust).

Also fitted a seperate RX battery. (You will need to remove the red wires on the servo cables from each ESC to RX though).

I think when Tony designed the model it was in the dark old days of brushed motors as I seem to remember speed 600 motors being shown on the plan.  Personally I would avoid brushed motors for a model such as this.  For the motors I used I needed to make a new motor mount/firewall that is slightly bigger than the one supplied in the kit .  So the nacelle had to be modified accordingly to fit around it.  You never know though the motor you settle on may be ok but check first before making the nacelle 

Hope this helps

Craig

Edited By Craig Carr on 21/03/2011 17:06:14

Posted by ken anderson. on 21/03/2011 17:11:19:
Posted by Craig Carr on 21/03/2011 09:04:25:
HI Dan,

No problem............. Its all geared up ready for the 2011 season

I Could-but i wont comment.....should really leave it to the 'owner/flyer' to expand on the previous 2009/10 seasons displays...

ken anderson ne...1.

Cone on then Craig spill the beans.....

Hi Gordon,

I thought it was those motors. Dont get me wrong it will fiy on them but I had a B17 that weighed 10pound and used speed 600 brushed motors. It used to burn out the brushes on the motors and in general they are far less efficent... performance is a bit marginal, less duration etc etc...

If you wish to get exactly the same set up as mine give Dave Andrew of concept models a ring... he supplied the motors, speed controllers and props etc for my A400m. He is a good lad - we all use "up north"......does mail order.  If you mention my name and A400 he will know exactly what you need

Craig

Edited By Craig Carr on 22/03/2011 11:42:11

• 1 month later...
Shaun

Had trouble getting the ramp to move from ground level to closed so I managed to find a Retrak servo with the centre screw on a long slot for the pivot arm, that way it would find its own lengh , I tried to upload 2 foto`s to show you but for some reason they wont work,
will have to try again

Shaun
Idid work on main wheel retracts and got them working well but when I left it standing overnight it started to sink,I found that the leavers you fit on the axles was slipping,I tried putting a flat on the axle to hold the grub screw but that still did not work,they say that you should solder them together but you can`t do that because it will melt the plastic, the only way is to make the leavers out of brass and braze them together before fitting, you will have to sort this out after the two sides have been fitted together but before the longerons are fitted.

gordon.

still having problems with the photo`s

Hello Gordon,

It can be done.... The plastic arm comes off to leave the metal collette... you can then silver solder it into position. Once cool then slide the plastic part back over....

But you need to do this before you bend the other side of the undercarriage wire or you won't be able to get the plastic bit around the bend. Obviously youve already done this so too late unless you make another set,

good luck, managed to have a look at the job so far by looking at your album, it's certainly coming on a treat.

Craig

Edited By Craig Carr on 16/05/2011 16:42:36

• 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...

A little late in posting but this model really needs to be better known. It flies superbly using the motors/battery combo as proposed by 4max, although I did use a quad ESC as it was more convenient and cheaper. The Tony Nijhuis site states a motor setup of 4x500W which is way OTT. I measured mine at around 800W total.

Check out my build in the Album section - A400 Altas. Here is a link to a para drop video I did.

https://youtu.be/gCcOIthh0zE

I cannot praise this model highly enough - it is different and allows you to add a bit of your own input to the build. All a can say is "well done Tony".

Edited By Nik Harrison on 22/06/2018 12:25:05

• 1 year later...