SPEEDO MAIDEN FLIGHT

Well fellow glider guiders, I have managed to maiden the Speedo ....... eventually.

Yesterday, (Saturday) I went up my local slope where we had a very light, north westerly with thermals rolling through. I plugged the battery into the RX and waited for the orange light on the RX when I noticed smoke being emitted from the EMAX elevator servo, which was brand new, and yet it was fine the evening before when I tested it out, so I had to go home and rob a servo from another model to try again.

So Sunday, (today) came and Big Phil picked me up to head up to the same slope as yesterday. When we arrived, what wind there was was blowing south westerly, even though XC Weather said it would be westerly. Phil launched his Weasel, but the breeze must have been less powerful than a Gnats fart as he struggled to stay in the air.

So I decided we may as well get to the flat part at the top of the slope and give the Speedo a glide test. I threw the plane and it immediately ballooned upwards and so gave it immediate down elevator. The model kept wanting to do this and I was altering the trim, by which time it had gone over the slope ridge, ooops! So I was committed then and managed to get enough lift for a couple of passes along the ridge before losing the wind and the lift altogether, but I did manage to get the Speedo back to the ground along the ridge line.

The second flight Phil has filmed and I will put it on the video thread once I've edited it but, I managed a few passes before losing the lift altogether and had to land out at the bottom of the slope. Subsequent flights were ok in very light winds, and mist came in too, forcing me to fly fairly low.

But I shall be looking forward to getting her out there again soon and trying to put her through her paces.

Advert

Here she is.................

Had to put best part of 2oz of lead in the nose to get it to balance. I'm using a 800mAh Instant pack for the Rx.
Just got to set up the throws, check it over and lob it off a cliff!
Quite impressed with the quality of the components for the price.

Even supplied me with a foot of red velcro...........any idea what that's for?

Posted by Steve Houghton 1 on 08/01/2012 17:18:03:
Red velcro I never got that in my kit, but then I didn't get servo extension leads either.

They must have sent me the 'Executive De Luxe' version by mistake.

Posted by Devon Flyer on 08/01/2012 17:29:57:
Posted by Steve Houghton 1 on 08/01/2012 17:18:03:
Red velcro I never got that in my kit, but then I didn't get servo extension leads either.

They must have sent me the 'Executive De Luxe' version by mistake.

That's discrimination, where do I complain

Ive had a twiddle on the sticks of a mates a few years ago - and that was in 40MPH on the big rock. Id say that was pretty well on the limit, and made for some exciting stuff.....but beware of its diminutive size - they get small very quickly.
Id reckon a nice 10 - 15mph would suit sir best.

I've been watching this with interest and after seeing Steve fly his on the weekend I've decided to invest in one.

Unfortunately after just spending £550.00!!!!!!!!! on Alf , my Jack Russell, ( no wonder vets have nice motors ) it has to wait a week or two.

Phil

P.S
Tim, my e-mail still stands regarding Le Fish.

Good news,
Mrs Big Phil said ''what difference does 2 weeks make, you work hard so buy another boys toy' no wonder I love her so much.

So now the decision on the colour

Phil

Edited By Big Phil on 12/01/2012 14:53:20

I wanted the yellow one but could not wait for them to be in stock, so went red.
But, I am considering the option of changing the colour of the fuse.

If that is possible - any ideas on that one guys.

Phil

Hi guy's.

I'm checking out what I need to assemble the model and this is my list.

AAA square battery.
3 servo's.........I have some Hitec 55's......will these be ok.
2 x 6" servo ext leads.
Y lead.
Small rx.......I use Futaba FAST, so any advice on that one please.
Weights, glue etc.

Any thing I've missed.

Cheers all

Phil

Phil. As you know I had to take my Spekky RX out of its case and fit it into the nose cone. Because of this I needed servo extension leads of about 200mm ish to go from the RX, along the fus to underneath the wing, but you may choose to fit the RX behind the elevator servo.

The aileron servos need extensions on them as the servo leads aren't long enough to exit the wing. Oh and another thing Phil, don't use those plastic clips that keep connectors from pulling apart, if you do they'll never go through the slots inside the wing. I suggest you tape them together as did.

I didn't use a Y lead, the AR500 RX has 2 aileron ports but you should be able to use aileron and aux1 as you normally would.

Keep the elevator servo as low in the fus as possible. I couldn't use the connector supplied for the control rod as it touched the canopy and had to connect using a Z bend.

You'll probably need about 2 oz of weight in the nose, CofG being between 65 - 75mm from LE. Its not easy getting that amount of weight in there. I may buy some lead shot and wrap it in cling film and selotape before stuffing it into the nose cone. At the mo I'm using sticky wheel balance weights, not ideal in this case.

Any questions when you're building, just phone or tx me mate and I'll follow your progress on here. Build should only take about 4 hours, unless you faf about like I do.

Phil, I also use FASST and put one of the FrSky FASST-compatible TFR6 rxs in my Speedo. It fits reasonably comfortably in front of the elevator servo without resorting to any cutting or hacking of anything.

The battery I got is one that is sold as an Alula battery. My elevator servo is an HS55, the aileron servos are Blue Arrow metal-geared, digital ones. They were the slimmest I could find at a reasonable price.