A bit windier than I thought

Hi folks,
Finally got to the slope again today after a week or so of no wind / rain / F3F competition - withdrawal symptoms were setting in!
The wind forecast was for 30kph which according to my reckoning is 17 or 18 mhp, and should have made for some nice relaxed flying.
It seemed a bit wild when I arrived so out came the whirlygig thingy which was showing 35mph on the edge.
Certainly didn't travel nearly an hour for nothing so first up was the Fusion which with 4oz of inbuilt ballast was having difficulty penetrating. Two more ounces of church roof taped to the underside of the fus sorted that out and Fusions being Fusions, it flew nicely and quite fast.
Next was the Bedlam with 6oz of ballast on board. This penetrated  well (as always) yet with its wide wing, any sort of aerobatics saw it blown back towards the hill rather too quickly, and managed to crack the fin off on one of my better landings. - never mind, that nice Stan at Phoenix is sending me a new one!
Also had the Blizzard which has had both fus and wings covered in CW tape and Profilm, and weighs in at 920G.
This little machine just soared and totally defied the wind, reaching great heights and penetrating really well.
Down trim, fast and  furious, big loops, stall turns, rolls and inverted all with no problem.
Also landed well yet didn't need spoilerons as ground speed at the back of the slope was quite low.
Not bad for a little piece of elapor which will also fly well in 10mph!
So, for all you people looking for a nice foam sloper................................
I just could not stop flying it and three hours later it rained.
Does this slope soaring addiction ever subside?

Advert

I haven't flown mine much lately. Lobbed it off the local slope tonight in 15mph of not very one hill wind. It is a fun model to fly, but I still prefer my middle phase. Wind dropped a bit more and I managed 30 mins with the EG. Dunno why but I really do like that glider.

Hi Alex,
The EG is great for "calm" conditions and will fly nicely when the heavier ships will not.
Yes, the Middle Phase is a good machine - flew mine again last week - very stable, predictable and performs well.
For sheer fun (that's what it is all about for me) the Blizzard is hard to beat in a strong wind - definitely out performed both Bedlam and Fusion today.
Each to their own, think it's time for that first mouldie - Luna or Typhoon?

Ian @ SlopeRacer gets his next stock of typhoon's on Friday.

I am so tempted. But it's £280. And that's before you get into expensive radio gear. And the thought of building it is giving me the heebie geebies. But oh my word it does look nice.

Andy - how hard are they to build?

(sorry Peter, thread has gone somewhat off topic)

Edited By Alex Leigh on 23/07/2009 09:48:33