1st bg Spit?

Robert Wilsher

1st post -
Hi everyone from Caldicot Aeromodelling Club in Monmouthshire, S Wales.

Having flown trainers, semi scale low wing taildraggers and a few smallish Cambrian type Spitfires, I want to build and fly a bigger better Spitfire. Am a bit boggled by the choice - DB, Mick Reeves, Brian Taylor.

What would you recomend for a winter project-
 wouldnt wish to go bigger than 1-6 scale yet !

Cheers

Rob

Edited By Robert Wilsher on 26/07/2009 21:17:11

Advert

Robert
Hi   .There's an article in the latest mag about this suggesting that if anyone came up with what you're looking for & me too ( confused ) it would be a sell out, especially if British made !

They mostly seem to be compromises and worst of all ARTFs  Shouldn't have said that I suppose but I'm one of those who gets more out of the creative bit than the flying .

Thanks Myron,

I am more interested in a kit/part kit approach rather than ARTF for this venture. Over the last 2 /3 years I've enjoyed building a few ARTFs just so I can get "into the air " again and they serve that purpose well. I've also put together a couple of ARTTITB's (almost ready to throw in the bin) but enough of that!

I'm looking for a Spitfire project that is:

1)   Not too daunting to build
2)   Not too difficult to fly
3)   Enjoyable to build & fly / no bigger than 1/6

Any pointers anyone?

Rob

Hi Robert,
I'm one of those building the Tony Nijhuis Spit that Tom mentions. It's about 62", designed around an ASP/SC/Magnum 61 FS.

I'm about to start painting camo soon, so almost done with the construction and loving the build. It's only my second plan build and there's been no challenge to great, especially with help from others on this forum.

There's an excellent (now very lengthy) discussion on it here with some fantastic tips.

I've loved every minute of the build and can't wait to see it fly.

thats exactly the predicament I was in Robert, I decided I was going to go down the route of the Brian Taylor MK1A, have most of the bits to do it but have actually decided to fly an equivalent sized ARTF first as I don't want to invest all that time and effort into a model who's type I have never flown before.
So the engine is going in a Kyosho 90 sized Spit for now, giving me some bigger spit air time, and more time to contemplate the BT build etc. Everyone I speak to that has flown the Kyosho says its a peach..... fingers crossed !

Ed

I'm fitting a YS91, never run and offered to me at a very good price from a friend. Its below the spec for the model but it should be fine. The YS91 is apparently about the same power as most 120's and the model will weigh about 10lb. I have seen YT Hurricanes weighing 12lb+ with more than enough urge powered from an RCV91CD (certainly not as powerful as the YS). Time will tell but it should be ok.... fingers crossed.

Have ordered the Kyosho Spit 90 yesterday from Elite Models for £195 ! - good deal?

Have also decided to build a big Hurricane through the winter instead of a Spit - then I should have a nice pair!

Thanks all for your pointers

Rob

Edited By Robert Wilsher on 31/07/2009 19:05:25

very good deal Rob, thats what I paid for mine just over a year ago (long story as to why I'm only just starting it). Looking in RCM&E etc the going rate seems to be £240 - £250.
Not got far with mine... I tend to worry a bit then over engineer things, had to resist the urge to not use the furry hinges supplied, but decided to go with them in the end. Now concerned over just gluing servo blocks to the hatches and the fact that the flap control horns are put in with self tappers! I'm sure all this will all be fine and I just need to convince myself they will be and get on with it !!

Good to compare notes; Spit arrived today, aren't the instructions priceless?

Can't quite understand how the wings are 2 piece when the retracts are connected to the same servo-I guess one control rod needs to be dis/reconnected.

I think the firewall/bulkhead area needs beefing up a bit.

What servo will you use for retracts? - never had them before.

What engine is going in yours? I'm thinking about Saito 120 four stroke

Good luck

Regards

Rob

Hi Robert,

Just answered your engine question in the other thead before twigging it was you on this thread as well !  doh !
Not got very far with mine yet as trying to sort some engine troubles on a CAP I want to get back in the air. Going to fit a JR nes703 as my retract servo, my first retract model as well so a bit of a voyage of discovery for me. I will be gluing the wings together though so no need to keep undoing one sides retract rod, but yesctgat is what is intended for separable wings.
Yes, not sure abou the instructions yet, seem ok so far though.
I think the instructions actually say to beef up the firewall joint somewhere and i will certainly be paying that area some attention. Not too happy with the covering on mine, the panel lines are a poor match etc, but going to fly it for a bit and see how I get on. If I like it I think it will get a makeover over the winter. Everyone I have spoken to that has flown one say its fantastic, so I am certainly hoping it will be a `keeper`.

Ed