Futaba 6 EXP 2.4

Our first 2.4 6ex appeared at the club site last week was range checked set up on a jupiter and flew a very impressive test flight.However....subsequent attempts to link the set to a 6exap via futaba buddy lead have proved completely fruitless the 6ex is the master, 6exap the slave. The slave fires up but command cannot be transferred via the trainer switch.Trainer funtion on the 6ex is enabled.
Additionaly,the 6ex has managed to completely clear its memory of the model on the four occasions we have tried to set up the buddy box!
Your views would be welcome before I speak to Ripmax on Monday.

Advert

Hi All. Two friends and myself bought complete set ups including trainer aircraft and the Futaba 2.4 system from the Rougham show. This means that we have been in the fortunate position of being the first 3 membersof club with this kit. This means of course that we have used it for training via a buddy lead. On several occasions the box held by the student has given a couple of beeps and then powered down completly. the instructor is able to pick up control staight away. Then teh student box powers up again and the lesson continues. This has happenend with all combinations of tx 's, but always the same buddy lead which is where the finger of blam is pointing. You can go for several flights with no issues then have a couple of problems during one flight. A new lead is on order.
I also agree about the supplied battery packs and have up graded.

Sadflying, sorry I missed your post on 14/7/07. You had the 2.4 as master and 6ex 35mhz as slave. Did you leave the slave switched off (it powers up with the 2.4) and remove the crystal? I know you dont have to remove it but on my buddy lead instructions it says that it helps! Also was the buddy enabled on the 35mhz radio. Go to settings and enable it before joining with the buddy lead. One more thing, the toggle switch on the 2.4 is 2 part, as you lift it with your finger it clicks, but then if you pull a little more and hold this transfers (or at least should)the control to the 35mhz. Did you get any reply from Futaba? Good luck
Kelvin, where in the states did you buy your receivers from? Al

• 2 months later...

I have Futaba 2.4 running in a "Buzz" wing, where the Rec, ESC and battery are all sandwiched together, and the motor is only 50mm from the Rec.............  NO ISSUES

Also an Eflite Thunderbolt, also no issues.

Futaba may seem to have a longer aerial, but it's only the small end section on each leg of two flexible wires that's the aerial, the rest is cable so you can position them easily.

I presume you mean the emf generated by the ignition system? Not personally, as I no longer own any petrol powered models, but I would imagine there should be no problem, especially as all reputable model ignition systems have suppression circuitry anyway, and you would not be taking that away would you? The main reason that 2.4 stuff is so pretty  much immune from "normal" R/F interference is that it is so high up the frquency band as to render it almost "invisible" to lower frequency interference. Spark ignition systems - although quite high amplitude, would remain well below this frequency, but good screening of HT cables etc is still probably advisable, as items such as servo leads and so on remain susceptible to such high power spikes. HTH