A model to cope with higher windspeed - suggestions please!

I fly smaller (up to 1200mm span) electric models from local playing fields and meadows, but this year (like 2007 & 2008) has been marked by days on end of persistent high wind, often quite gusty, which has prevented flying even on the few fine dry days we've had lately.

We often have to fly in anything up 10mph, but much above this and the fun factor becomes outweighed by the scare factor!  

I'd be interested to hear of any small electric models that cope well in wind, and also if there are mods I could make (eg. more weight in the nose) to help my present air force to cope with wind better.

Advert

Hi R W.......

You have not said what you have, nor what sort of flying you want to do.  Nor what batteries you already have to save money on different ones.

I regularly fly my Flying Wings "Buzz Lightning" in above 20mph winds, and have flown it power and from the slope with the prop taken off in near 30 mph base wind.  I use 1800mAh 3S.

My Flying Wings "Raven" is also sloped and flown power above 15mph base wind, with only a 1000mAh 3S and no ballast.

Both shrug off gusts.

I have and love my Formosa dearly but would not recommend it for significantly above 10 mph.

Thanks for the input. 

I've got a brushless Formosa (no undercarriage) which is about half epoxy (repairs!) and which is OK up to about 12mph.   I love the Formosa but agree with Dave.

I was reading about the Blizzard on a different thread earlier and was impressed - especially as I'm a big Multiplex fan anyway.  Hadn't thought of EDF though.

I like your thinking Dave - existing batteries etc.  I am pretty much standardised on HiModel 3S LiFePO4 packs (9.9V nominal) 2000mAh 200g and same size as 2000MaH LiPo,
but also use GP1300 7-cell and 8-cell NiMh on smaller models. 

I just do sport flying with a few loops and rolls etc.  I just want to fly on days I can't at present.

Thanks guys - I'll look up some info on the suggested models.

Edited By Romeo Whisky on 02/08/2009 19:40:09