Hand Launching

Hi All,

Having got back into RC flying, I'm now flying Electric only.

Current hanger, ignoring Heli's, is:-

Flyingwings "Buzz"
SuperflyRC "Superflea
Fik 80 (converted chuck glider)
EFlite Thunderbolt

Any plane I own has got to easily fit into a Ford Focus.

MOST times I fly, I'm solo on site, and on grass which often does not allow the smaller RC models to ROG, hence it's become more obvious as I have gone along that it's vital for me to know if I can easily hand launch solo anything I'm going to own.

The first three above will fly from hand without really making any forward throw, and get used all the time as a result. I have a recurring spinal problem which precludes animated "throwing" actions.

The TBolt, though a lovely flier, is fragile, difficult (near impossible!!) to hold along with a Tx, and I'm not sure it's powerful enough to fly from hand anyway.
It has therefore so far only had one flying session, where I could ROG on tarmac (which was superb, but limiting).

I fancy the following:-

Alpha Beaufighter
Alpha FW190
Westfield Mosquito

Anybody with experience of these with regard this please???

Dave

Advert

Don't have much experience of the Alpha stuff, I have a Scorpio Mosquito, and much as I like it, the foam, same as Alpha is VERY fragile.

FW190 wise, by far the best EP version is the Ultrafly version, about £125 in motor, prop and ESC, superb flyer, and wing unscrews [around 1200mm span], put it this way, it's the only EF plane [aside from the Ripmax Spitfie] I would reccomend to anybody.

Thanks for reply Scott.

I'm assuming Ultrafly is :-

http://www.modelflight.com.au

and the plane is :-

FW 190

as there are others using Ultrafly name, but these are the only ones listing a FW190.

It comes with motor, and looks very good, being all balsa.

What spec items are you using? Does it have power to fly off hand without any active "chuck"??

Edited By Chris Card - Moderator on 23/07/2010 07:20:40

Just realised I have somehow managed to get myself two identities....... (I have to operate from two places, so two computers, but I thought I'd just set up the existing account on the second one, clearly not......).

This is not intentional and I'll resolve it a.s.a.p. (Embarrassed grin)

Hi, yeah, that's the plane, set up wise, there is little to do! I bought the set up with motor/ESC, and they are perfectly matched, the plane even comes with 10x6 prop, prop adapter and spinner! All spot on. Battery wise, 11.1v Lipo 2100mah 20c.

It hand launches really easy, full throttle, without torque rolling. Feels a bit odd at first, as you launch aft of the wing. I dare say the underarm technique would work very well, but never tried it.

Good or petty good [no need to go for MG/high torque, blah, blah, the plane is beautifully built, and weighs nothing!] sub-micro servo's are a must, as she is as fast/slow and docile/aerobatic as you could ask for for a warbird. That's it! The only weak point is the U/C, which you are not going to use anyway. I think that re-enforcing the cowl screws with a bit of cyno for that odd "iffy" landing is a good idea. And, only othe "fault" was that I didn't like the self-tappers for the battery velcro, so I used longer screws, and cyno'd them in for good measure.

This to me is the best ARTF electric Warbird available, it's basically viceless.

• 3 years later...
Dave,

Consider buying a "trannie tray"  from  MRM

The mini tray works fine.  This way you can hold the model in your left hand, and in Mode 2 use your right hand to advance the throttle safely and then transfer back to the aileron/elevator stick  for the release - should work similarly with mode 1.  The TX is always safely positioned and you have positive control of the aircraft at all times.

Additional benefits are: It keeps the TX off any wet grass whilst you de-arm the  model after landing and  (with my Spectrum 7) prevents  any unintentional pressure on the "Bind" button whilst allowing easy access for range checks

Paul

Edited By Chris Card - Moderator on 23/07/2010 07:21:14

Dave, I have the Alfa Tempest Mk V and it's a superb flying little plane, much nicer to fly than the parkzone similar spec models. As for hand launching, I have the AXI2208/34 motor up front and with just a little over half throttle she will pull out of my hand ! I grip it around the rear fuselage behind the wing and give an over arm launch. Too much throttle and it induces a torque roll as it leaves your hand, to be honest, full throttle is never needed as it flys so well and scale like on 3/4 throttle maximum for loops and rolls.