Glow to Petrol Conversion.

Doug Ireland

Advert

I've just a closer look at the engine I want to convert and can see a potential problem. The prop driver has a groove machined around its circumference which will make fitting the 4mm magnet a bit tricky. A normal twist drill would "chatter" in the groove and I don't have access to and End Mill. Would a straight Router Bit work?

Forgot to mention, the SC 52FS engine is brand new and never been run.

Edited By Doug Ireland on 15/03/2010 11:57:07

Watching with interest.
A few comments if I may..

Doug, What about a small centre drill to start it off?

Mixture..At ¾ turn out thats not much oil per rev, almost a drought in the crankcase of a conventional 4 stroke.
 Gerry, Are you using synthetic oil or 2-stroke oil in the petrol mix?
 There is probably quite a fine line between insufficient oil for the bearings and an excess of oil clogging the exhaust valve stem if using the 2-stroke oil.
The compression pressure requirements for glow and petrol are quite close and if necessary retarding the ignition slightly for a test run rather than stripping out the engine and adding shim gaskets might be worth a try even on a new engine.
Satisfactory air/fuel(petrol) ratios for the ignition of 4 strokes seem easier to achieve than for a 2 stroke.
While it may be safe to reduce the oil content of a 2 stroke a 4 stroke will need a close eye kept.
Doug, Some before and after results on the new engine would be useful, also any ignition advance/RPM data would come in handy if possible.

Doug,
The propdrive on mine has a groove turned in it. I managed to drill it by holding it in the benchdrill vice, and used a drill size same as magnet minus a couple of thou: pressed the magnet in to just below the surface of the propdriver and then filled the groove in with car body filler then smooth it down, theres no way it's going to come out, {mine hasn't}                  Brian,
Im using 2 stroke oil, at 20 to 1, and there,s a slight residue out of the exhaust, so oil must be getting round.  It's run for about an hour {on and off } up to now and nothings happened yet!!         

No its just sitting in the open jaws Steve.

Drilling the prop driver proved more difficult than I anticipated, considering the deep groove around it. The hole just broke through the prop side of the driver so the magnet will need a little dressing with a dremel.

I'm a bit reluctant to strip the engine down (never pulled a four stroke apart before) to drill/tap a couple of m2 holes in the front bearing housing for the Sensor Mount, so I'll need to come up with another way of doing it.

Posted by Gerry Stansfield on 15/03/2010 21:55:27:
Doug,
The propdrive on mine has a groove turned in it. I managed to drill it by holding it in the benchdrill vice, and used a drill size same as magnet minus a couple of thou: pressed the magnet in to just below the surface of the propdriver and then filled the groove in with car body filler then smooth it down, theres no way it's going to come out, {mine hasn't}                  Brian,
Im using 2 stroke oil, at 20 to 1, and there,s a slight residue out of the exhaust, so oil must be getting round.  It's run for about an hour {on and off } up to now and nothings happened yet!!         

Might be worth considering that the groove is there to give purchase for an extractor, assuming it's got a taper fixing - can't remember offhand.  Might be better to leave at least part of it unfilled?

That's always a possibility and something that happened to a clubmate with an engine from one of the major petrol engine manufacturers.

You could certainly live with the possibility of having to grind out some of the filler in the event of needing to pull the driver - or take the much less preferred option of driving the shaft through the driver which is an easy way to cause damage. Unfortunately, I doubt that there's a great deal of strength in the filler unless you've used something like P40 with glass strands.

If the magnet is even a little below the surface I'd think about staking the ali. around it with a centre punch but would probably have left a little clearance when drilling and Araldited the magnet in.

It's just occurred to me that I think I read somewhere that Neodymium or one of the other common magnetic material is nasty stuff if powdered and is nickel plated in order to keep things safe so you might want to look into this before using your Dremel.

Added a little later:
I thought I'd check and can't see anything about a safety hazard but if the magnet is of sintered (compressed powder type as per Neodymium and many others) construction, grinding it will remove the plating, allowing rapid corrosion and probably encourage physical failure due to loss of integrity.

Edited By Martin Harris on 22/03/2010 22:25:59

...and car filler is usually porous so a coat of petrol resistant paint might be a good idea as yours is already done?

Edited By Martin Harris on 22/03/2010 22:33:03

I'm afraid I made a bit of a hash of it!.

Stripped the engine down, drilled and tapped two M3 holes in the front bearing housing and reassembled the engine. So far so good. Mounted the Sensor Housing to the engine and connected the ignition. Then I discovered the sensor is thirty degrees out and there is not enough adjustment in the mounting bracket to make it work. As it is, the plug now fires about five degrees BTC!

Rats...

Never done this job Doug so working a bit blind here butwhat diameter is the magnet? Might an endmill do the job? These are pretty cheap in the smaller sizes & would work well in your pillar drill. The only problem is that it doesn't self centre so you need a good drill press with little or no play in the drill shaft...A lot can depend on the quality of your drill press....I have a cheapy unit from B&Q & the float in the drill shaft is just awful........

Chronos do endmills here