Beginner looking for some help and advice

Russ1974

Hi,

Having attended an RC model exhibition in Oxford yesterday, I've decided that flying planes looks like good fun and would like to give it a try.  I'm hoping to find some members of local flying clubs (I'm in Bicester, Oxfordshire) who can point me in the direction of a friendly local model shop and then arrange for some lessons or introductions at a local club.

As requested, here are my answers to the questions in the "start here" thread. 

How much money are you able to spend?

No real budget constraints, within reason!

Where will you fly - Is it grass or another surface?

I expect grass but depends on which club I end up at.

How big an area is it compared to say.... a full size football pitch?

I'd be joining a proper club so assume it would be "big enough".

Do you have permission to fly there - are you sure??

Not yet!!

What do you know about radio control systems?

Lots (ok, a little)! Started learning to fly RC Helis many years ago but had to give it up. Coming back, going to give planes a try.  Quite fancy the look of the new 2.4Ghz systems.

Is there a model shop nearby?

I have found a few on Google, would appreciated some recommendations in the Oxfordshire area (Bicester) but willing to travel for face to face advice and assistance.

Who will be teaching you – are they experienced?

Unsure yet - looking for a club in/near Bicester.

Is it something you are serious about…. or just a passing whim?

It depends how it goes.  Hoping it's something the family will enjoy watching me do, if they get bored of it then chances are I will pack it in and find something else to do (as much as I'd hate to!). I've always been interested in RC models and owned a heli for around 12 months (going back about 8 years or so), but only managed around 15 flights and then had to sell it. Been itching to get back in to it ever since.

Is there a model flying club nearby

I have found a few on Google, but again would like to find a local one with some forum members. I am in Bicester, Oxfordshire.

Advert

Blimeys Russ - you are the first to have bothered to read that ancient thread for ages - I am impressed - well done.
I very strongly suggest you start off with something simple - but NOT a toy or an all in one box solution...these inevitably turn out to be rubbish - and the radio gear is almost always not transferable.

If you can ignore the appearance and concentrate more on the practicality, then this is the model I always recommend to complete newbies. Its beauty is in its simplicity and almost complete indestructibility.

It also has the advantage of being slightly larger ( easier to see ! ) and can fly in windy conditions too - yet is safe enough for the average large park - requiring a simple hand launch into the blue yonder.

Once you have a few hours under your belt with this one THEN move on to something nicer.

At around £50 including the motor and speed controller its excellent VFM IMO.

PS I have NO connection at all with flying wings.co.uk. other than owning 2 of their models ( the “Supafly” and the “Slipstream” soarer ) and being very satisfied with both.

Oh, and if you use 2.4Ghz equipment ( an excellent choice by the way ) this will then transfer to your next model and therefore save you loads of extra cost.
If you flying off grass, then the hand launched option is also a good idea, and when you move to your next model.... make sure its something with nice big wheels to handle the grass. Insurance is a must...and if you join a club this will usually include BMFA membership and insurance.

Please take a minute to read the various threads we have done to help you get the most from using the forum, below you will find a few "clickable" links to some of the more relevant beginner’s pieces.

Please read these. 

And here 

And another

BMFA clubs 

Once again, welcome aboard and have fun

Timbo.

Thanks Timbo!  I am reading away as I type ...

One of the main criteria of my first plane, as well as obviously getting something in the "trainer" bracket, is that my 8 year old son approves on the looks.  Unfortunately, as much as I can see the benefits of the V-Trainer brushless kit, it does not pass the "yes, get that one dad!" test.

I only plan on flying at a proper club, not a park, so am happy to get something slightly more advanced.  I would prefer a petrol engine too.  Something like this kit would seem to suit, although I'd prefer a 2.4Ghz radio;

If not that plane exactly, that's the kind of thing I think I'm looking for.  Maybe something a little smaller though ... I presume the wings can easily be removed so they'll fit in a car??

I was about to say Timbos recommendations come with an electric assumption! 

The arising star is an excellent trainer, and will serve you well.  The wings detatch, but stay in 1 piece.  Most people seem to findf trainers that size OK.  If you want something smaller then the Jumper 25 is also excellent, although a bit less stable in wind because it is smaller- I learnt to fly with one, so they're not too bad!  Buy a good brand engine too-  I suggest OS as there is so little price difference at this level.

Having said that I wouldn't recommend the package you linked to- the transmitter is 35 MHz, not 2.4GHz.  You will probably find you want to upgrade from that pretty quickly, and there is virtually no resale value with 35MHz now (which might make a 2nd hand one a canny buy, but stick with 2.4).  A Futaba or Spektrum 2.4 system (go for the best you can comfortably afford- minimum 6 channels) will see you a long way.

The thing I always suggest, that many people seem to overlook, is the mode of the transmitter.  Apparantly 90% of the population fly mode 2, but there are clusters of mode 1 flyers.  If your club should turn out to be one, you are better with a mode 1 radio- so I suggest a trip to the club before you spend any money.

Hi Russ and welcome,

Im not too far away from yourself and certainly know of one club near Weston-On-The Green the opposite side of the A34. Not flown there myself but have been told about it from friends.

Have a look at the Hangar 9 Alpha 40 trainer. Complete package with engine and 2.4ghz DX5 deal.
This is what i got for my first plane and it is awesome.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

Ross.

Thanks Andy / Ross.

Weston on the Green - been to their website and sent an email using the "click here and email us if youre interested in coming to visit".  No response   I used the BMFA directory and found all other websites for clubs in the area to be pretty useless or many years out of date.   Shame ... will have to resort to old fashioned telephone, or just drive over on random days/times until I spot something in the air!

Alpha 40 looks good, but I note that kit is completely ready to fly with a 5 channel kit.  I'd prefer one of the almost-ready kits so I can finish the building with my kids and feel like I've at least done a bit of the construction.  Would also prefer a 6+ channel radio.  But that's definitely the kind of thing I'm after ... nearly there

Alpha 40 is definitely an ARTF Russ.

U/C needs fixing, tail feathers putting together, wings joining, creases de-wrinkled, servos setting-up properly, engine setting-up properly/tuning, strengthening etc.... Ideal for you and the kids to get started.

Also, on mine i have changed prop and spinner as suggested and added external charging point and voltmeter so plenty to be getting on with.

I can see your point about the DX5 but to start off with it is ideal, when you then decide you want a 6 channel you can then just use the new controller and sell the DX5.

Pop down to the Weston site, i think they have a board up with tel numbers on it.

Cheers,

Ross.

Hi, Russ
AS a fairly new beginner myself, I have gone down the Electric road myself, and would fully recommend the UltraFly Mentor . At 1.45m and balsa construction, + a nice juicy motor, it flies the equivalent to a glow engine... It is an ARTF, pre covered with sero's and motor, but the wings need connectng, the tail section needs putting togeter, and it all needs connecting up etc...
Hope that throws a spanner into the works
Paddy

Also this isn't me flying but  you can see it in some very strong wind....

Edited By Paddy Fidling on 15/09/2009 07:31:37

The arising star is a good IC powered trainer, and I actually still think IC is better for an absolute beginner who has facilities of a proper club flying site, I have explained why, in times gone by
PS forget the DX5 Transmitter....you will outgrow it  VERY quickly.

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 15/09/2009 09:30:35

Posted by Tbone on 15/09/2009 08:24:30:
Hi Russ
I am Hon Sec of a club based near Chipping Norton,
I realise that is a fair way from you but we have a few members from your area.

Thanks - but that's a good 35 / 40 minutes away from me, and I'd like to find somewhere a bit closer .

Posted by Timbo - Moderator on 15/09/2009 09:25:10:
The arising star is a good IC powered trainer, and I actually still think IC is better for an absolute beginner who has facilities of a proper club flying site, I have explained why, in times gone by
PS forget the DX5 Transmitter....you will outgrow it  VERY quickly.

Thanks ... will take a look at that.

For the transmitter, I quite like the look of the Futaba 6EX - good/bad choice?

I think you should take Timbo's advice on which model to buy, not your son's.  Once you can fly it nicely, you can always sell it and buy a proper-looking one.  But before buying ANY model I would get a simulator, and practice on that.  Model simulators are not VERY good representations, but they are good enough to learn a lot.

Hi John,

Although I very much appreciate you taking the time to reply, the primary reason for me considering this hobby is to spend some quality time with my family in the fresh air doing something that hopefully we can all enjoy.  So I definitely want the plane choice to be a "joint effort".  I managed to convince my son that a fighter jet (with jet engine) was not a suitable first plane ...

For the same reasons as above, e.g. spending fun time together in the open air, I will most probably not go down the simulator route.  I am sure my kids will enjoy my amusing attempts at learning to fly and my first crash as much as I enjoy the challenge.

Posted by John Cole on 15/09/2009 10:48:48:
Then I hope you enjoy mending broken planes!

Absolutely - hence my message earlier in the thread about not buying a ready to fly kit   And, when I post my first photo of my first big crash and ask for advice on repairs/replacement parts, you are very welcome to pop up with "I told you so" !!

Edited By Russ1974 on 15/09/2009 10:55:45

Posted by Russ1974 on 15/09/2009 10:20:02:
Posted by Tbone on 15/09/2009 08:24:30:
Hi Russ
I am Hon Sec of a club based near Chipping Norton,
I realise that is a fair way from you but we have a few members from your area.

Thanks - but that's a good 35 / 40 minutes away from me, and I'd like to find somewhere a bit closer .

Now you are getting picky  :

Hi Russ
Just a thought, but if you're going to have training at your club, you will probably be on a 'buddy lead'. Make sure that the Tx system you go for is compatible with your teacher's.

My club in Suffolk uses Futaba for training so i got a s/hand 6EX and Rx for £100. Fine equipment BTW, but the Rx's are expensive compared to Spektrum if you're going to have a several airframes - and you will!!

OOHH, I think you're looking for a fight!!

Others, e.g. Timbo, are FAR more qualified than I to give reasons, I can merely offer an opinion.
I use the Futaba 6EX as I have collected five Rx in various airframes, but I also bought a Spektrum DX7 fo £85.00 at a show so that I can fly 'Bind-N-Fly' types and also use cheaper Spekkie Rx's in foamies and 'toys' that I like to build. No prob's with either bit of kit.

Incidentally, building simple foamies would be a great family activity; marking out, cutting, electrics, painting, etc. Something for everyone to do, and then you can fly it!