Bending an exhaust manifold pipe

batcho99

Advert

JE do sell them, but at about £20 each, which strikes me as being very (very very) expensive for a component that seems like it should cost pennies (well OK, a couple of quid).  Flexible pipes seem just as over priced.

The lead idea is a good one.  I haven't tried it, but I have a spring bought from B&Q for bending copper plumbing pipe, and I often wondered if that would do the job.  Anything involving silver soldering doesn't agree with me!

I understand what your saying Andy, but the thing is for a company to produce the pipe they have tooling and set up costs, I used to make pipe bending tooling for David hearts Pipes (aerospace) in Downton, some of the prices would chill you 2K for a 3/4" 16 SWG seamless Ti tube with one slight bend and two small holes in it!!!!!

I dont think for £20 there really going to be rolling in profit after taking out tooling, new cnc machined parts and labour etc, and the small volume demands a higher unit price.

the spring is a good idea, but has to be a good fit in the bore, thats why its sold for pipe bending, the solder/lead idea would work but only few a small amount of bend, after that you'll snap the pipe becuase it cant "move", the inside of the bend needs to compress and the outside stretch to form it, hence the "spring"

Eeeer, sorry wrong forum, thought I was on the machinery one

i'll get my coat

Phil.

I've had a look for spares online but cant find any for the enya forstroke series? Thats why i was going to attempt the bend. Its a funny size pipe not like os or saito. I'll pop a picture on here later when i get chance. Thanks for all the quick responses.

Iain

oh, edited. The bend i want is a nice smooth 90 degree

Edited By batcho99 on 17/09/2009 18:32:29

There used to be a product called "Serabend" (not sure of the spelling) that was used in exactly the same way as Peter Miller suggested with lead. The main advantage was it would melt in boiling water.

Just checked on 'tinternet, the product is called Cerrobend (melts at 70 degrees) and is still available in the UK.

Edited By Doug Ireland on 18/09/2009 13:08:07

• 2 weeks later...
I think it's mainly to do with getting the temperature hot enough.  I spent a long time trying to silver solder a cut manifold onto some of Mick Reeves metal flexible exhaust pipe (trying to avoid spending the £25 a prebuilt one costs. 

With 4/5 roaring Bunsens we still only got a weak joint.  I think the pipe was acting as quite an efficient heat sink & radiator.

I was advised that silicon pipe is no good for a 4 stroke engine because of the very high exhaust gas temperatures.

If it is steel , take a blow torch heat it cherry red and bend or  find your local "Model Engineering club" they make scale steam locomotives, I am sure you will find more help than you can shake a stick at.
I have tried silicon pipe on 2t and 4t , it burns !!