Slopejunkie

Hi Phil yes is ClarkY at 15% 4" thick at root not designed to break any speed records.... but hopefully will give a nice scale like speed and with the monster flaps its getting a nice slow descent/landing. the method of cutting only works on tapered wings, project the leading and trailing edges from the tip until they cross....then fix the cutting wire at this point, could be a peg in the board for small wings or as in this case an eylet screwed into the wall. One template at the root end and use croc clips to attach 12v to wire so you only heat the bit you need fix foam on bench I use dble sided tape and blocks on top and away you go single handed operation....easy init.......yeah right pitfalls  very tapered wings will result in the kerf/curf of cut at the tip being much bigger as the wire is going a lot slower eg on a delta, does take a bit of practice to get the speed of cut right and the tension is held by you pulling the wire so good wire and a steady hand needed. This is the biggest ive done but the wing is split outboard of the engines and the mid section is perm part of fuz so although a long wire is used 2m is longest cut. so should be doable. If it dont work I will have a lot of spare loft insulation.......sourcing 200mm thick foam locally has been a chore but its under way now fux is 380mm diameter. Believe it or not this was started on a whim at this size just because it made the maths easier scaling from my ref drawings. The wife has already rolled her eyes and stomped off to the house ha ha.

Hi Phil

It is THE BEADERY brand craft wire  2490-218 silver, made in USA 24g

At 3m of wire connected  i can just cut..

So your using about 50w..to cut

that makes mine roughly <5ohm/metre sorry no reliable ohm meter and no amp meter on the supply....long story never got round to replacing the last one.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...