Dynaflyte Talon

we(eric,andy and me) were there keith...crepe weather.....my speedo bit the dust.....well the tarmac road actually........it is now in the green landfill container......managed to save the wing's and the servo's..cause i think down to the corona rx...i've had prob's with it lately.............

ken anderson.........

Andy ( Ken Eric ).

I had a look,  late on  yesterday 2.45.   Rain had just stopped for a while. 
   wind was there,  . . . .  but looked a bit 'bumpy' .... see what today brings

Looking to give the   'Weasel'  a first chuck.    ( Ideal wind would be  10 -   15 mph, ish )
   forcast today is for,     22mph.     Anything over 18 mph ...  Dream -   Flight  advise
   adding up to .. extra . . 3oz of ballast !!    . . . . . AUW .. now is at 16 -  1/4oz   as I have
   added substantial .. 'Strapping' & parcel tape.  ( orig' book spec' is  .. 10 - 13oz.)  ?

Andy .. did you get the  .... 'Talon' .. Up?

. . . . .  Sorry about the 'speedo' ! ! !   Ken  ...............................  Keith.  

Edited By Wor'Keith on 17/12/2009 11:43:54

Posted by enrico on 17/12/2009 16:38:27:
Yo Andy, ouy again today,30+ at the butts. Flew between snow showers and squalls. We(Ken, Mike,and Tread) had really good laugh as Tread struggled with a flat battery flight. Will see what tomorrow brings!!!

Tread doing his submariner bit again? He definitely needs a periscope on channel 5 and posibly a torpedo or two that lad..

• 2 months later...
Time for a quick update on this one. Has now flown a couple of times. Has shown brief glimpses that it might be a nice model. The problem from day one has been the all moving tail plane. Slop in the linkages, cured but the issues were not resolved.

"we", other wise known as the better stick twiddlers who suffer my presence thought it looked like the servo was not centring correctly Issues traced to excessive play of the rod in the brass tube.

Not only that but the method of supporting the brass tube was pretty poor and in no way up to surviving my poor arrivals. 

In the end i decided to do away with it all together and replace it with a "standard" tail. Not hard to do and for me surprisingly carried out from start to finish in one evening.

Hopefully it will be much improved  and i hope to be able to report back with positive things to say.......

Edited By Andy Freeman on 26/02/2010 22:30:37

Great thread on the Talon.  I had one a few years ago and really enjoyed flying it; but the roll rate was slow.  The tail was always a problem - weak woodwork and far too much metal and weight in the mechanism.  I ended up with a standard X tail.  My fuz broke just behind the wing and the wing hold-on arrangement broke (wooden tube with a nylon bolt through it.  The whole thing finally bit the dust when I put a 400 can motor in it and lost control at low level.  But I have another one (kit) in the loft awaiting my attention.  When I build it I will add some reinforcement, particularly to the fuz, and start with a conventional sheet tail glued to the top of the fuz and a strip elevator with a standard horn and cable. I might increase the size of the ailerons and would definitely put a servo in each wing.
Cheers
Bill

Bill, Thats what I have done. Binned all that crappy metal work and gone with a plain old sheet tail.

I wish I had put a servo in each wing too. For the time being it is fitting in the collection nicely for light winds on small slopes and to tell the truth i really wanted something to build at the time rather than another foamy.

Epoxy now out and the tail will be back on in no time at all. 

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Lost the will to live with the TV over the weekend and went to have a look in the hanger to see what could entertain me for a while.

Spotted this one stuck in the rafters and it brought back memories of a recent Hill Top Posse trip that failed to produce the wind speed needed for the models I had with me. 

So, Out of the cold and in to the house,as SWMBO was out, and removed the central aileron servo and all the associated metalwork. Made provision for a servo per side in the wing and started construction of a new tail. the old one was sheet and needed a fair lump of church roof as well as the battery to balance.

Will report back later..

the guy who invented the talon has come up with some much better models now, have a look at his web site zaerotech.com. he will send kits to the uk. thay are all made from the most accurately laser cut ply ive ever seen and the z33 and z55 are wingeron models (twisty wings)