Boeing PT-17 Stearman qtr scale by Flair

Advert

Hi Stephen,
most of the stearman biplanes did not have a cowl. Thats one of the things that make them such an interesting subject for us to model. You will really need to go to town on the rotary engine detail.
If you go to google images........stearman pt-17 you will get lots of detailed info, and colour schemes

ernie

Thanks Ernie,I wasnt sure how to descibe what is needed,I put cowl so people didnt think I was looking for a proper rotary engine.Flair do some sort of kit that you make the mock engine out of.The original kit had a mock engine in it but that is missing.My friend feels this is the most impotant part of the kit so wont atart on its compltion until this problem is sorted

Hi Stephan,

There are some fantastic kits for 1/4 scale motors available, so don't despair.

In the UK, Blackburn models are good for that sort of thing, if that fails,Try Arizona Modellers, or Proctors, both in America. 
Your friend is absolutely right. it is an essential part of your project

ernie

Posted by Stephen Grigg on 25/09/2009 15:32:33:
Thanks Ernie,I wasnt sure how to descibe what is needed,I put cowl so people didnt think I was looking for a proper rotary engine.Flair do some sort of kit that you make the mock engine out of.The original kit had a mock engine in it but that is missing.My friend feels this is the most impotant part of the kit so wont atart on its compltion until this problem is sorted

Hi Stephen,just to be a complete anorak,the engine fitted to a Stearman is a radial  engine.A rotary engine is the type on which the crankshaft is stationary,and the cylinders and crankshaft rotate around it.These were generally fitted to earlier aircraft (e.g. Sowith Camel,Avro 504 etc.) of around W.W.1 era.Best wishes with your build,good to see there's still some real modellers out there in this ARTF age.........cheers,Mak.

This is the problem Chris the person who started this kit decided to covert it ti the Super Stearman hence why parts are missing.He paid #70 pounds for a rubbish cowl that weighs a ton but my colleague is going to build it as a Stearman.Once the Dummy engine siyuation has been answered then the rebuild will commence.Flair do some sort of kit you put together to build the right engine(dummy) so Im wairting on that,thanks for your help and input so far guys Ill keep you posted.I received some sample solartex coverings from Galaxy today and th fuz will be a royal blue

Stephen
I've got a Flair Stearman that is half built and as supplied by Flair there are two ABS mouldings for the front fuselage fairing and the dummy engine crankcase along with eight plastic cylinders. The real one has nine cylinders but one will be replaced by the model engine. Carbon Copy do GRP mouldings for the fairing and engine but you would still need to source the cylinders.
Chris

• 4 weeks later...
We have managed to source the crankcase,and flair were able to supply the cylinders.With the model came a 45cc petrol engine but its to big.My colleague had a Thunder Tigre 2000 but that is also to big .\\\\he will now have to go for thSC 180 2 stroke and has to get the #200 pounds together tpo buy the engine.He has started covering the wings and tail,but is now going to hacve to wait until he gets the engine before he carry on

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
My instructor is a little more than upset.He normally wins the scale,because although he is not the most meticulous builder he is easily the best scale flyer in the club and gets a big ovation every time he flies.He has done what many club members could not .He received the Stearman heavily modified from the plans,many importanr parts missing,and carried out a lot of research to modify ie back to the original,it was only part built but a lot of wirk was involved.Whemn he had the air frame  complete and at scale as possible,he covered it A lot depended on the weather because it so big he had to do it outside.He then had a lot of work doing the rigging and had to research that to get it right.He then had to work out the best engine to keep it scale.His first flights were challenging to get the C of G right and get the model down.It takes at least 2 of us to carry it to the strip.Once he had it flying nicely he has now added the last scale parts to the model.The club for some reason have altered the scale rules completely.To the point that unless you have built totally from scratch with no plans a percentage of points are deducted.If you have bought a kit,points are deducted,you might as well enter as an ARTF.The wost thing is your model doesnt have to fly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.If I had the time I could have entered an Airfix kitSo, anon fliable brick could win the scale competition at our"flying " club.Its taken all the fun out of it.Ive a scale Desoutter,beautifuuly weathered i bought with no plans ,no controls ,no engine and no idea where to start,.Ive built it to fly,and we had a number of hairy excusions to get the C of G correct.Having worked so hard to get it fliable it now wont count,All the effoert for the last 18 months my insructor has put in on this Stearman have been for nothing,he is a very unhappy bunny.

• 6 years later...