The new FlyCam Eco

OK, let's compare the Flycam ECO with the RC Hero Camera-

Flycam ECO - cost £39.99
RC Hero on Ebay cost today - £168.99

Flycam ECO - resolution 0.3 mp
RC Hero       - resolution 5 mp

all a bit obvious which camera is going to give the better results

we could continue comparing chalk with cheese but probably more constructive to find similar cost / spec items for comparison.

Has anyone got any relevant links for similar equipment evaluation ?

Edited By gliderpilot01 on 18/11/2009 21:36:41

Thanks for fixing the links Phil.
"If you're thinking of buying one do some searching and see if you're happy with the results.........or ask on this forum. " - that was exactly what I was trying to find out ! The RC Hero camera I got in Florida earlier this year for about $180 a bit cheaper as usual in the states. The video above from Phil looks ok, is there a lot of difference from the higher resolution of the hero, it's hard to tell....?
I was looking at the easier mounting options the Eco seems to have, that's why I was considering one, but now I've seen the little blade 400 lift an RC Hero camera with waterproof casing, I'm not sure I should. The hero comes with 4 or 5 different mounts, one could be installed on each model, then the casing & camera just get moved around...though I'm not sure why you would want a camera on 4 or 5 different models !

• 1 month later...
Hi all
have just got one of these and wondered about the micro sd card
it says you can use upto an 8gb micro sd does this include sdhc cards ? as i cant find any other then them of that size, also what sort of speed card should be used would something like a class 4 be ok or does it need to be faster

many thxs and merry christmas to all

Rob

The video from Garway is mine, from the other movies above I'd note the following

1) Hero is higher resolution but focus doesn't seem that great
2) Hero is very wide angle, almost a fish eye type view
3) Both seem to take a slight amount of time to adjust to changes in light.

I just checked my original editied video against the U tube version and the original is definitely better quality, a bit sharper and less motion blur. If anyone wants a "raw" video clip pm me and I'll send you one so you can judge the raw quality.

For what it is the ECO is pretty good value for money and for dabbling in aerial video pretty good. Being powered and controlled from the Rx is pretty useful.

I made a ply mount for mine which I can then rubber band to different models so it's easy to swap around.

The one disadvantage is that the ribbon cord from the camera to the electronics limits the installations slightly, I've just monted my board in one of those little plastic boxes that servo extensions come in so I can mount this outside with the camera unit.

So far I've run mine on 3 planes 2 gliders and 1 electric, I'll post the electic (Twin Jet) video when I get round to it.

I am thinking of buying a Flyingwings V tail trainer just to use for aerial video though.

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 24/12/2009 23:24:31

• 1 month later...
i got a flycamone eco and connected it to my futaba fasst system and it doesent work, i have read various internet forums saying that the futaba voltage is too low for the camera to work, a guy said that it worked ok when he used the camera 'manually' - does this mean connecting it straight to a battery and if so how does this work. and has anyone else had a problem connecting a flycamone eco to a futaba system?  
Thanks, Dave..

Dave, it should work, the positive and negative rails on all Rx's are direct from the battery, so if the battery is fine then it should work. Does the LED go green when you turn it on?

The other thing you might need to do is change the settings in your programming to make sure that the switch you use to switch it on and off (and change modes) is set in the correct direction and has full travel.

I took mine down the field today with my Spektrum set and initially it didn't work, then I found I'd allocated the Gear switch to activate a mixer so the gear channel wasn't working, changed it back and it was fine. Video below

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 21/02/2010 20:25:24

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 21/02/2010 20:27:07

mmm, can't get my U Tube link to work.

If you have power to the Rx then the LED should light up green, to switch it on you have to flick the switch on and then back off, the LED will change to red and it's recording, to stop do the same again.

Does the LED light up when you plug it into your computer USB port?

Also have you tried a different channel?

hey guys, if anyone has any problems connecting their flycamone eco to a futaba system, it is because the first batch wont work with futaba because of a problem with the 'pulse length', i found out from another forum, if anyone has this problem flycamone are bringing out another batch of eco's that are modified and do work with futaba, and if you send your normal one off to them, they should replace it with a new futaba compatible one.

• 2 weeks later...
I have got one of these fitted and working. The instructions are poor. So here's my guide;
The channel switch is always set to off except when changing modes or starting or stopping that mode. Switch it on and then almost immediate back to off, not a flick , just a steady on and off will start the mode and the LED turns red. Do the same to stop the mode and the LED turns green. Hold the switch one for about four seconds and then off changes mode. The green LED is steady for video, flashing for continuous photo and slow flashing for single photo. The red LED flases at the same rate as the green one when recording that mode.
Hold the switch on for ten secound and there is a brief red flash to signify the camera image is inverted. Set the switch back to off again. The image reverts to its own way up when power is disconnected.

Hope this helps. Its worth noting the photo resolution is much poorer than the flycam one 2.

• 9 months later...