Tony Nijhuis' lysander!

Seeing as it will take me a while and i am spending my last pennies on it, i thought i would add moderate scale detail.

I was talking about it in another thread when someone suggested rib tapes.
I did a quick google search about them and the first hit i went on, it mentioned the lysander, coincidence or what!!! Apparently on the prototype some of the wing fabric came off and thats why they started using it.

Just wondering if the rib tapes were on the top and bottom.

I am hoping to go to old warden and get some nice hi quality pictures of the lizzie because i intend to do the shuttleworth's serial number one.

Got the CNC pack on its way, hoping to get started soon!

While i'm here, any other scale details apart from the ladder and fuel tank that would make it look nicer? probably be a while till i need to think about it but would be nice to know of what i envisage doing.

Peter

Advert

Hi peter

The fabric covering on older open structure wings is often (always?) fixed to the ribs by stitching. There is a great sequence in the film Murphies War, showing the hero (Peter O'Tool) stitching fabric to a Grumman Duck wing. 
The rib tapes are the used to protect the stitching, both top and bottom

On some prototypes, the edges are frayed, and on some, cut with a serrated edge
The frayed ones are easy, just tear a strip of solartex, and iron it on,,I've seen the serrated ones advertised in the press from time to time, or you could devise a method of making them. maybe pinking scissors

If you want to be a real anorak, you should show the little bumps under the tapes

Re other details, why not make it really dirty (they did land in fields etc) maybe with some repairs

ernie

Ernie's post got me asking myself  "when did the change over from frayed  to serrated edge rib tapes occur"?    This got me looking in some books with the following result. 
AP1107,  the RAF's manual for the rigging of aircraft (1931) shows only frayed edge rib tapes. 
The rigging, maintenance and inspection of aircraft. by W Speller. 1935,  says use serrated or frayed edge wing tapes.
It surprised me that the change over was so late, I thought  that frayed edges were  WW1 only.
Steve

Rest easy Phil, I've used pinking shears as well. As I remember they were a lot larger and heavier than normal scissors. My mother used to make costumes for the local school panto when I was a kit so that was where I first came across them.

ps, I've just bought the pack for the TN Lysander too!

Edited By Doug Ireland on 08/10/2009 01:35:46

Got the kit this morning, a little dismay when i saw the £10 postage price! All the parts look to be in good condition, went over them writing the part numbers on, Tomorrow gonna go to 'generic DIY store' to get some MDF and cork floor tiles for a building board for the wings, don't think the fuse will need a building board, just a flat surface to weight it down to.

Definately gonna fit the optional wash out to give peace of mind!

First job is to glue BO1 to BO2 and BO3 to BO4, will do that later, but now i have to do my GCSE english homework

Might look into the landing lights, might prove difficult because they go on the spat seam where they are joined together. If you get some cheap torches then nick the chrome bulb surrond you could epoxy them to the back then put some clear plastic on the front.

Turns out the delivery is just outsourced from myhobbystore.com to SLEC, had i know this, i would have liked it if i could have got some of the other parts for it like the spinner, the humungous 3.5" wheels!!! and the SLEC maxi tank, but oh well!

I was chatting with a club mate about the lysander and scale features a few days ago.

Apparantly there are lights in the wheel spats- if you look at my stuka thread there is a nice multiplex switching unit that can be used to turn these on/off.

Rib tapes are available in a range of sizes from Mick Reeves.

• 2 weeks later...
Great stuff Peter,
What about that colour scheme? or do you fancy the mean all black one?
For me, this is what scale modelling is all about...Digging about to find information, and making it into a working model
Also, you asked about detail....Well that big glasshouse is asking for a furnished office

ernie

Out of interest - how do you check the CG of a full size aircraft?
It seems if you're going to find two derelict halves of the same plane, codge it all together with Sellotape , CA , chewing gum, hope or whatever then paint it up, you'd want to be reasonably sure it was all balanced out... and it's a mite big to balance on your fingertips