24" Sopwith Pup

As the Depron Pup is all made out of the same material I rather expected it to end up more tail heavy than the balsa & tissue version.

Piling up all the airframe pieces up on the fuselage in their correct relative positions I placed a small bar on my scale and then placed the fuselage on the bar at the likely CofG (lower wing leading edge). I then pressed down on the nose at were I guessed the centre of mass would act for the combined battery, motor, esc & radio.
The result was not what I expected as it balanced level showing a total weight of 3.6oz or put another way it only needed 2oz to balance. The power train and radio weigh rather more than that so I looks like I shall have to move some of the bits back a bit.

At the moment I cannot see an obvious flaw in this test.   

Simon,
That looks a smart little model, and  surprising light.
Being a balsa builder I have never given Depron a thought, but I must say I'm really tempted after seeing your efforts.

If I was doing the test, once the test model was ballanced, I would ballast to equal the weight of the 'masterpiece'. 

Looking forward to the results. 

All glued together ready for the flying wires.
Nothing very sophisticated. The 1/16 balsa struts are glued into little slots cut into the Depron.
The cabane struts and lower wings are simply glued to the side of the fuselage.
The wing separation and stagger are correct. The top wing looks high because the fuselage is quite a bit shallower than scale.
The motor will be mounted quite high on the firewall to keep the correct thrust line with no cowling. I estimate the drag will be roughly equivalent to scale diameter fuselage.
It will have no U/C, at least to start with. 

Simon,

It looks as I'm too late making this suggestion which was to fit a rudder to the test model.
I suppose the addition could still be made by taping a 3g servo on top of the fuselage,
the rudder  doesn't have to be used but gives another optional control .

My reason for making the suggestion is at take off or launch speeds I think a rudder will be essential, the rudder and elevator will be the only controls which will have any authority at extreme low speed .    

Terry
I did think about it but I was keen to replicated the controls of balsa/tissue one. As you say it would be relatively easy to add rudder control to the Depron version if found to be essential. I am hoping it will fly at extreme slow speed all the time!

A rather unusual pic. Tensioning the rigging.
The complete wing bays and half the cabane rigging were all done with a single thread fed through pin holes in each strut and the ends tied to a tensioning weight (the pliers). Each strand was then carefully pulled to an equal tension and fixed with a touch of glue.
Servo and control wires next. 

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 23/01/2010 12:36:13

The all Depron motor mount.
Note the front of the fuselage has been cut back adjacent to the front cabane struts and the battery compartment relocated as tests suggested the CofG was going to be too far forward!
It looks like it will end up weighing very little more than the balsa & tissue version.

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 23/01/2010 22:59:58

Terry
Its a Blue Wonder 1500kv rated at 9A max, 7A continuous, just £5.42 from Giant Cod.
A nice little motor (the magnets are particularly strong) that weighs 20gm bare but you have to accommodate its tube mounting.

I glued a tight fit Depron tube over the mounting so I could then glue the Depron bracing directly to it. A very light installation although it probably wouldn't take the torque at the 18oz max thrust this motor is capable of! 

Looking at the motor mount I realised it had some problems.
1. With the motor wires at the top I was going to have some difficulty connecting them to the ESC.
2. The motor mounting was rather flexible as the lower brace ended at the centre of the unsupported firewall.
So engine mounting version 2
It now has the wires at the bottom so they will be accessible via the bottom hatch.
The 3 braces are set in a triangle so the lower pair terminate at the corners of the firewall.
I now have to wait for some more 3.7gm servos, the one size Giantcod are out of stock!

At the moment every time I weigh all the bits, and make a realistic allowance for any missing, the total keeps coming out just a bit below 5oz! 

Terry
Thanks but I have just ordered 4 for £8 postage free, from Hong Kong of course. They may take a few days to arrive.
I decided to use tiny "eyes" to guide the control cables. They are home made from fine copper wire with their ends pushed into the Depron and secured with a dab of glue.
Simple and quick to fix. The 90 degree bend radius is rather sharp but the ease of actually threading it means the very fine 1.7lb line can be used.
You can just about see it!

Simon,
How on earth  they manage that price and free postage, which in itself must be near 20% of the cost, then still able to make a profit  is mind boggling. It has be long term unsustainable.

This has become a neat little project in it's own rite, it has certainly made me think
of  Depron in a different light as a building material for just such models.

Terry
I suspect it is more to do with exchange rates than real costs.

I could not agree more about Depron, particularly when it is used in built up structures where the strength of the Depron can take most, if not all the loads.
This is born out by the fact that the Depron Pup will weigh little more than the balsa and tissue equivalent and it is a great deal more robust.

I have a couple of 1500mAh 2s. Now I wonder if................ 

Yipee! Something to do.
The ESC has arrived, 10A, very small and light.
Shorten the leads a bit & add a suitable battery connector (now there's a fiddly job!) and test the motor.
The prop, a 7x4, is to really too big (or pitch). 3.5 is the finest pitch 7" prop I can find so I may go down to a 6x3. I have ordered both!
Now for the surprise. As above it weighs 120gm. Add 8 gm for the two servos so 128 or 4.55oz! Its actually lighter than the balsa & tissue one. 

Simon

Thank you for a fascinating and inspirational  build log.

I'm planning to build Mr Carr's 'Biff' from the February RCM&E but I'd really like to add ailerons; I'll have a go at your method and see how I get on.
Will you be using the same system on the depron 'plane? If you are, some details will be fabbo.