Canadian Lysander flies

Advert

Your welcome Ken and you should be proud. The prototype flew June 15, 1936. That's 73 years ago. This particular airframe sat in a farmer' field for 30 years and still can be certified for flight. Amazing! This one was actually built under licence here in Toronto. Guess what? there is a second one in Quebec that should be flying shortly as it too has been certified.

Jack.

Hi Simon, close call but in fact it's a Canadair CF-104 Star Fighter In a "Tiger Meet" colour motif. It was flown by 439 squadron whose badge was the sabre tooth tiger. This is a very historic Canadian squadron formed in 1943 at Wellingore and flew Hurricanes and Typhoons. They now fly out of Bagotville, Quebec and fly the CH-146 Griffon Helicopter in a combat support role. Still a great colour scheme.

Jack Higgins,
Toronto

• 3 weeks later...
Hi guys, the Discovery Channel covered the first flight of the Lysander with better quality and some additional footage. I tried to get a copy so I could send it to TIMBO but all they would give me is this link to the clip. You have to be patient as it takes a while to load and you have to put up with a segment on an Albatross with a camera. The shots of the Lysander are worth waiting for.

Jack Higgins
Toronto.