Why are they all the wrong size

Erfolg

I am nearly a 100% electric flier.

In the past, most if not all models were about 36" span if a sports/scale model or up to about 60" span if a glider. This situation was essentially dictated by the wide spread use of the 400/480 brushed motor.

Most of us now use a wide range of brushless motors and Lipo batteries. The range of practical model size has widened significantly. As in the past budget constraints limits the max size I will consider building.

I do tend to prefer larger rather than smaller sizes for general outdoors flying. At present this seems to set a personal limit of about 40-50" span, for sports/semi or scale models.

I awaited the TN free Spitfire plan with some anticipation, so i was a little disappointed to find its span is 61", just to big for my wants/needs, even after lightening a little for electric flight.

Which then made me think, the upper 50" span is not a very popular size for most plans generally issued/freebies.

I would like to see a Bf/Me 109 as well as a Spitfire publishing in this size.

Now I recognise that this is a personal opinion, but do wonder if it is a view that other electric fliers have.

Erfolg

Advert

Erfolg,
I'm working on electrifying my T180 at the moment (72" span) and I think the reason this size is not the most popular is very simple - cost. I also plan to build an 80" Zveno, but this is quad engined and will be cheaper than a similar size/weight single engined model.

The cost is however dropping, and hopefully we should see more big birds being electrified.
Olly

I agree (I think) Erfolg - if (as I understand it) you are saying that there are too few new electric models around the 45"-50" span range.

There seem to be loads of (too) small models, especially warbirds, and loads of too-big warbirds and others.  It is disappointing to see Seagull apparently failing to expand their highly successful EP range and suppling i/c or electric setups for their larger models.  Kyosho too seem to go for micro or massive.

My feeling is that they are trying to tempt the i/c fliers to convert to electric, rather than expand the number of those like me who have only ever flown electric and have no interest in the i/c world at all.  One of the fun aspects of the middle-size range is that the price and reasonable storage space mean it is possible to develop a small air-force of different types.  Model manufacturers might consider that higher costs and storage space requirements of bigger models impose a real restriction on modelling spend.

And sorry Peter, like many others I'm sure, I do get niggled by the stock answer that all model fliers should build their own.  When I trained for my PPL many years ago, no-one ever told me I should have to build a Chipmunk before I could fly it.  I am in this hobby for the flying - not for the building, which to me is just a necessary chore, although I am safety-conscious and often modify and strengthen ARTFs at any weak points, which is just good airmanship.  I also seriously dispute that building your own is cheaper when you consider that ARTFs come complete with all their hardware.

But you just mised the point. Erfolg was complaining that he couldn't get the size of model that he wanted.

This leaves him with a choice.. Just build what the manufacturers/plan publishers provide and with which he is not happy, or design his own.

Erfolg, You say you want an electric powered glider bigger than the average.

Well, in the near future RCM&E will be publishing this

82" span, will fly on an old, gutless pre-Surpass OS FS40. so will  fly nicely on a n reasonable size electric motor.

Erflog

I know what you are getting at, but I do not share the concern.

I will ignore ARTF since you seem happy building, and you like the Spitfire plan. So do as I did and take the plan to a copy shop (eg Staples) and get them to reduce it for you for a very reasonable cost.

I have done the same with the Hurricane plan which I had scaled to 80% which makes it match the scale for the Spitfire. I could not justify having to buy a 4S setup with so many 3S units in my posession. The Hurricane is still too big for what you want I guess but it can still be scaled down further to suit.

Also during construction, I try to loose large thicknesses of balsa which is the design pattern for glow machines. A few light 1/16" formers and some wet balsa bending normally allows me to loose shed loads of unrequired weight.

This will also allow the use of less costly flight items if that is your concern. There are sites out there (eg GiantCod) that have some amazing stuff at great prices, true they may not be top quallity but they sure are very servicable - I have yet to have an item fail (that should have jinxed me now!).

I fly up to 74" planes with the wings split into 2 panels, and none of my machines use anything more than a 3S 2200mAH pack so the cost is relatively low.

So it can be done, just needs a little of that modellers work around to get you where you want to be.

Eric

You have got it, its the cost and durability of Lipos which are the restricting factor at present.

Peter

I hear what you say< I have designed and built my own designs to suit my needs.

This is my 36" span Fw152H

A 50" sports model

A 2m flying wing

I have also designed a 50" Me 109T, although no picture, originally IC, intended making electric.

Although having done the design thing, it can be very nice to build one of your designs, knowing it has been debugged and optimised and will fly well. That 50" mark would work well for me at this time. As it does revolve around cost, time, and practicality.

How about that Gee Bee R1, you said you will not be building, or an Ike or maybe a Bf109H (which I have just started, as the next build after Cassutts, ohh and Nemisis).

Erfolg

The only Gee Bees that appeal are the Model Y and Model E and D.

Nemisis is fairly close to my Okie Swinger published elsewhere.

Ike or even Pete are interesting, somewhere down my must do list.

I am finding that my eyes are not quite up to fast small models these days and so I think I will be going for slightly slower types. I am going to do an accurate Pawnee, Well, at least more accurate than most! That has been promised elsewhere.

I have one or two interesting ideas though.