sods law

took my little mcx to work with me on friday as i was spare and hopefully doing nothing all afternoon, i picked up my dx6i and pressed the roller to change the model and the roller broke strike one. undetered i got out my other dx6i brand new from its box and got that bound to the mcx, when the mess room got quiet i had great fun and flew all over the place even trying to land on a pool ball. i got the little begger to go under the pool table and back up the other side. ihad four good flights she was so stable i had a thirty second hands off hover, ithen landed it on a coffee table and went to pick her up i knocked it with my thumb and it fell on the floor and broke the fly bar mounting strike two, bearing in mind i had bounced the little beggar from ceiling to floor two or three times with no damage i was surprised. still think they are fantastic fun though

Advert

I found on that auction site a hop up which has helped me. It is an aluminium tube with a slice . this sits on the hub where the  the fly bar passes through. Strengthens the hub some what and i have not had one break . Flies exactly the same. i tried my local heli shop but they had not seen or heard of them. I am sure if you have the tools you could make one or several though.

Gaz

I've also been flying - make that bashing around - my little blade mCX today.  Funny how current weather brings out the indoor flyer in all of us.

The flybar and its mounting at the top of the main shaft do seem to be the weak points and I'm sad to say mine ended up out of commission as the U shape plastic bit at the top of the shaft broke off.  I'm interested in the "Hop Up" that Gaz describes.  Can you give us some more details Gaz, maybe a link?

No probs. I bought 2 not knowing how good they would be , and wouldn't you know they last the distance. I love throttling up to height then dropping down and recovering out. some times i get it wrong and the hub has lasted this bashing!!! as well as the rest of the heli. I love the flexibility of this .I got it second hand in a deal and it has served me well . I do like the MSR it is just that bit more responsive and so much more like my blade 400 style of flying. Would love to get one but can not justify it with my renovation of an Agwagon (All wood inc cowl making it a pain to fit engine so it is being replaced with pawnee cowl) and a 1/4 scale tri pacer. Both of these are eating my hobby buget with new hi torque servos , rx etc( Despite the excellent prices from the cod)

Happy heli hovering!!

Gaz

Posted by Stephen Grigg on 21/11/2009 10:28:28:
I broke the top of mine Phil,put a new one on and it was totally uncontorllable.The nice weather arrived and I havent been near it since

Stephen, what you need to do, is take the fybar off carefully, turn it thru 180 deg and refit. They are actually handed. Another way is to take off the top blades and reposition them on the opposite sides...... not sure if that is very clear but, the top left and right blades can be swopped so the left goes where the right was and vice versa.  I know it looks like the flybar can go on any direction because the top blades both have a ball link sticking out, but trust me, they dont. The flybar has to be fitted a certain way round. If however you break the ball link on one blade, just swap the blades around, swapping the flybar to the other side does not work.  Been there done, got the tee-shirt

• 3 weeks later...
how about sods law in reverse, yesterday i was fitting an axi motor to an e flite beaver i picked up at otterbourne swapmeet a few weeks ago. the motor and prop adapter were 1/2in to short for the cowl to fit nicely, and i did'nt want to cut the cowl as its loverly bit of kit, so i made spacers for the mounting, had to change all the trapped nuts as e flite used an unusual thead size. anyway got all this done fitted the cowl and prop to test the set up and the missus shouted DINNERS ON THE TABLE so went and had me dinner, went back to loft room to start again, as i walked in i stepped over a tray of bits on the floor and fell base over apex into the three foot gap between my computer bench and work benchlanding on my side on top of the beaver i had just spent allday getting it sorted. i could'nt move for a few minutes till i sorted out wether i had hurt my self but luckily there not much damage a few aches and pains only. then i realised the beaver was underneath me and thought thats had it for sure. i managed to extracate myself then had a look at the beaver amazed to find there was no damage at all, not a mark anywhere. decided enough was enough and went to bed woke up this morning full of aches and pains, left ankle, hip shoulder neck and ribs but nothig serious. the beaver is in fine fettle, so sods law proves you can win some times. new years promise to myself to clear the workshop up

once was enough thank you the big clear up has been started four boxfulls for the tipm once the weather warms up next year i am going to do lots of ebay and carbooting to clear out thirty odd models and forty odd engines that i am never going to get time to fly or start then perhaps next time i trip i will only hit the floor