E-scale P-47

Tim Mackey

Just got mine LOOKS FANTASTIC. no probs in the packaging and transport. very simple to assemble all done in about an hour. My own TX RX (specktrum) and no probs.

Does anyone know what the prop is ie 11x5 or whatevrer it is. Have ordered a spare but at £15 a time I want to be able to put on a normal one to continue my days flying.

And is it just me or is that 4 bladed prop just gorgeous or what might use my spare as a desk orniment!!!!

Dave- you do realise yes that the supplied 4 blade prop is the actual flying prop?
I am not sure what 2 blade, or even 3 blade "standard" prop you'd swop it for.... maybe do a bench run and see what current it pulls....then put on a 2 blader to arrive at the same power or perhaps a tad less?
I can tell you it flies a treat with the scale 4 blader, no shortage of power at all.

Oh yeah I realise that its a flying prop. looks good in fact i think the kit is worth it just for the prop!
 Just found them on JPerkins site 11 x 10! but in the photo they come with some sort of pitch gauge.
Mine was the set with Tx/Rx but I was after just the plane so they took the tx / rx out of the box just wondering if they took 1 bit to many?

My spare was dispatched today when it arrives I'll let you know if it has a pitch gauge.
I'm only going on the info on jperkins site I may be wrong but it has two 4 bladers a 9x10 and an11 x10. and the one with the JUG is 11 x something?  But as you say they seem to work well (static so far for me).

Now for a bit of Prop theory (well sort of). Am i right in assuming the following...?

If i had a normal 2 bladed prop and went to a 3 blader I'd keep the pitch the same but reduce the diamiter by 1 inch. And there for a 4 blader same pitch and reduce the diamiter by another inch.

So if I reverse this thory then it works out as a 13 x 10 prop.
Does this sound about right?  

Well yes....but being no prop expert either, I still cant believe that the motor/battery combo on this thing wold be running the equivalent of a 13 X 10 prop. Its only an 1800 3s pack, and RPM seems quite high, ( although I have not measured it ) in which case, I would expect that bolting on a normal 13 x 10 prop would see pretty darn high current consumption, certainly more than I would expect the rather smnall supplied ESC to cope with.
I did wonder about this setup as supplied when I saw the 4 balde prop, but frankly, just connected it up and flew.
Its the ONLY electric model that I have never bothered to run through the meter, but if you want to wait a while, I will do so now, and see what the figures are?

I fully agree I don't think it could handel a 13 x 10 ether. Another issue is the wieght of the props, there is not a lot of mass to the very nice scale prop (I do Like It) were as a say APC"E" at 13 x 10 has quite a bit of wieght to it in comparison.
But I look forward to seeing what your results are.

Right just done some testing using my astro flight wattmeter, as my eagle tree logger is fitted in another model, and I couldn't be bothered to disassemble it !

As supplied 4 blade 11" prop ( cant see a pitch marking but I haven't altered it )

25A
260 Watts at WOT
10.4V

I did run the optical tacho over it, but my meter only has either 2,  or 3 blade settings.
I used 2 blade setting, and expected to have to halve the figures I got, but surprisingly, the RPM shown was 9600.
I cant believe its only revving at 4800, but then........... it could be

Interesting results, a mate has a tacho that will do 4 blades and will see him over the next few day and see what i get. Will keep you posted.

Got my spare prop today from Galaxy, and it DOES come with a pitch gauge!

A strange contraption that needs lined up by eye but is adjustable from 7 to 13 inches.    I guess same pitch gauge can be used on different props, will see how mine comes out over the next few days and let you konw, I just put mine together out of the box will be interested to see if there are any differances in the blades.

Thanks again for the  motor test info, will keep you posted on the prop info.

Well I flew the review model quite a lot last autumn but the bad weather and long grass at our patch means it hasn't got out since then so I've taken the opportunity to notch up a few more flights this week.

It's been nice to fly it in pretty near calm weather too and I have to say (again) it's a fine little aeroplane. Goes where you put it, quite precise with a bit of presence too. Tried a 2200mAh 3S and it shrugged off the weight gain/slightly forward CG. The prop looks and sounds awesome too.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 10/04/2010 07:00:41

Mine is joining a few other of my smaller warbirds for a warbird fest at our club site this afternoon - thats if I can get up inbetween all the bloomin food mixers that are expected also
I havent flown her ROG yet, so today I hope to, as the strip is dry for the first time this season. Good to hear the larger battery works well, as I have loads around 1800 -2300 3s