E-scale P-47

Tim Mackey

Took mine out for its maiden on Monday. Had to dial in -25% expo to stop it from trying to flip over time I used aileron. Not happy with retract servo and so have ordered an new Hitec and servo slow. Handling after expo adjustment a lot better. Overall very happy. It will be getting a new paint job to RAF markings once I have found a pilot. Any recommendations?

Fly mine off grass all the time - if its very short, then it gets away no bother - but dont bother trying to hold her level and easing off nicely scale like ..... just get her up ASAP.
If its longish, then I find holding the tail, and revving up to full power allows enough breeze to blow over the elevator and hold the tail down, and she will then ROG after another suitably short run.
You are best using the elevator rate switch to have a large throw for ground handling, switching to low as soon as airborne.

• 2 weeks later...
I wrote in my earlier post i was going to paint mine in RAF markings. Bit of a problem. I don't know what colours I am looking for. Attached is scheme I want to go for. Anyone got any colour tips and where to buy from?

Please use link tool to add liks

Edited By Bruce Richards - Moderator on 05/06/2010 17:44:01

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys
just thought I would drop a post into this thread to thank David again and all at RCM&E
I won the p-47 prize draw 30/5/10
I have found time to put it together and completed the maiden flight today the assembly was straight forward ie resin the tail on ,bolt the prop together and fit , connect the linkages, connect the wing servos and bolt on the wing pre flight checks and off we go.
I got to the field at 8.30 and after a quick phone call to hurn airport tower I was cleared to fly so coffee drunk car unloaded tranny on and battery connected check the control surfaces for correct operation run a quick power check face it into wind and ease the throttle stick forward it started to nose over so powered off and held the tail power up again after about a 6 ft roll out we had air under the wheels and we were flying.

with the plane trimmed in 2 clicks right 1 click up I settled in to enjoy the flight I normally fly 3d so trying to get this to look something like scale is new to me so will take some practice and restraint but what a buzz to tame my flying and do a few scale aeros this p-47 might be smaller than i am used to but I love it already and light winds permitting this will always be with me.
Again a BIG Thank You to RCM&E.

Hello again. Well had it out flying and am very happy. Painting starts next week. I bought a 1/12th scale pilot from Pete's Pilots on E-Bay and one of my colleagues back at camp has painted him for me. Looks fantastic. Unforunately he is too tall for the cockpit so I will have to trim him down, which I don't want to do as my mate has done a brilliant paint job. So the answer is fit a cockpit. Problem. never made a cockpit before! Does anyone know of a 1/12th p47 cockpit kit that I can purchase. Putting kits together I can do, building from nothing wouldn't have a clue.

Richard, your links don't seem to show any images, it just takes me to a web page with a list ?

I found this image of an RAF P-47 via the googleweb, I think it looks great in these colours.
I'm quite tempted to buy one of these now that I'm expanding my fleet and I've got over my P-51 obsession.

Help!! I have started painting the underside. I realised I was using the wrong grey for the underside, ocean grey instead of medium sea grey. The wrong colour I did with Tamiya paint (no problem) I have just sprayed on the sea grey which is Humbrol and its eating the foam. They are both acrylic, Tamiya ok Humbrol not. Any ideas before I go for the more expensive Tamiya option?

• 2 weeks later...
Hello again. Well its almost finished. Just got flap mod to do. I have ordered servo's from Hong Kong. These include a reversed servo for one side. Had a couple of problems on the way biggest being aerosol paint eating foam. Ensure you shake can well. I have modded the cockpit slightly, adding instrument panel and a seat and back shield. The pilot was painted by one of my colleagues back at camp. He paints Warcraft figures and this is the first WWII pilot he's ever painted. Fantastic for a first attempt. Decals I had made by Modellettering.co.uk. Barry did a great job even down to the pilot name on side at 5mm. I think the wing roundels may be a bit on the small side, but hey. That's me on the side, always wanted to be a fighter pilot!!  I didn't put white fuselage band on as that is exactly where the dent's from being in transit are and they would show up more in white. The faded effect happened purely by accident. Once finished I matt varnished the model. And this is what happened. Not bad really for something unplanned. Will hopefully be flying this weekend subject to the Sun God coming out to play.

Edited By Richard Lewis on 14/07/2010 16:31:13

• 5 months later...
Resurrecting this thread, Richard, what colours did you go for on your repaint ?

I'm going to do a similar scheme on my P-47 when I choose which one to go for, I'm currently torn between this one and PZ's latest offering.
I've repainted all my Parkzone birds, my P-51 is in "Moonbeam McSwine" colours and my BF109 has a nice yellow nose and some weathering.