battery query

ericrw

Advert

hello eric---i have seen people using both-to be honest i think you'll need a fair old battery if your going to charge on a regular basis--if the lipo's are small one's ie..1000m/a..i would say any old battery will keep you going if your talking about 2200...upward's..i would say dont bother-charge them at home and use them at the field...as the capacity and size of the larger one's mean a charge of an hour +..dont use the one on your car-i've seen people stranded at our field after flattening the one on their car's.................

ken anderson......

ps-timbo will tell you for sure-mine is the layman's explanation....

Well either type will obviously power the charger identically given the same capacity - but the leisure battery (as Tom said ) is designed to tolerate deep discharge whereas your regular car battery is not, and will very likely be goosed if allowed to drop too low....11V or less and it could be history TBH.

I think deep discharge is not an issue  - as even cheap chineese chargers allow to set a low level voltage for the source. So for an ordinary 12V car battery which is in my opinion the cheapest solution - you set 10V lowest source voltage and the charger will stop when that level is reached.
I currently use a 55Ah car battery - chargers are hyperion eos 720i and turnigy accucell6. With this setup (and 10 batteries) I fly small aerobatics (2200mAh battery) the whole day and the car battery is stil not empty.  
Have a look at scrapyards - sometimes they have batteries in good condition at very low price.

Whatever you do don't use your car's battery! I drive a diesel and fly fairly big models with batteries of 3000-5000mAh capacity. After one afternoon's flying my battery was so flat that the fuel valve wouldn't open and the car wouldn't start. Fortunately it went with a tow from the secretary's old Volvo. Funnily enough, I'd seen the same thing happen to someone else the previous week whilst flying as a guest down in Exeter.

Nowadays I just charge the batteries I want to use off the mains at home and don't bother recharging at the field.

A 3000 mAh pack is likely to "take" a good deal more from a charging source than the nominal "3000" mAh) . Allow for charger losses as well as losses due to the Pack charging. A 60Ah Battery  may get close to minimum Volts after 12 or so charges are taken from it, at that rating, especially in the colder weather of winter.

Go for the Leisure Battery, less chance of damage to it.