plane refusing to trim

Adam Lomax

hi
i had the second maiden flight of my excelsior (if thats possible), and it went successfully. But we had one problem wich was when we got it into trim. It went fine for a few minutes, but then it would change and need re trimming and after another few minuets it would change again.
i am assuming this is somhing to do with the radio, and not the airframe. im using a futaba ff9 and a r149dp reciever.
i dont think its because the servos arn't centring properly because we tested that and it is fine. and it is only affects the ailerons.
any help is appreciated
Adam Lomax  

Advert

Could  check  the wing bolts or bands are secure and the torque rods are tight in the aileron balsa.  Then swap aileron servo for rudder servo and see if the problem changes to rudder. 
What is the history of the radio gear?  Battery?

hi adam ,
 i have had a  simlar fault on a miss glued hinge on a ripmax spitfire   and at the time you couldnt see any problem ,  took some finding , even changed servo too before re setting hinge , had got a bit  of cyno in the bendy bit !!!!
regards
jez

hello adam-if your convinced it is for sure losing it's trim i would try a different rx-if that doesn't cure it i would change the aileron servo's...i assume that the wing is fastened down ok?...as a last resort-check there is no slop in the control's(maybe make that first)..

ken anderson..............

thanks for all of the input guys
just had a look at the ailerons one of them does rub at the end (supprised i hadnt noticed before) so im going to fix that however the servos have 10kg of torque and there is only a very small amount of slop (you have to really look) so i doubt that may be the cause we will have to see!

Edited By Adam Lomax on 12/12/2009 20:20:03

What control rods/horns you using? On my big Yak I changed them so the rods where shorter, ball ends on both ends, used Ali servo horns and I they take some force (7kg servo @ 4.8v) to get them to buzz as before with the standard supplied hardware! If your aileron is rubbing the wing might have warped since you built the model, maybe consider temprature changes and how you store you goodies?

• 4 weeks later...