OS .46ax Rear & Front bearings

BB

Can anyone help.  Im looking for a bearings set - front and back for my OS .46 ax.  Anyone know of a stockist or generic supplier ?

In hope

BB

Rear Bearing: Open.
SPECS:     Outer Diameter: 1-3/32" (27.68mm)
                    Inner Diameter:   5/8"  (15.87mm)
                    Thickness:        9/32"  (7.14mm)
Front Bearing: Shielded.
SPECS:    Outer Diameter: 0.875" (22.24mm)
                   Inner Diameter: 0.375"  (9.52mm)
                   Thickness:      0.280"  (7.13mm)
BB

Edited By Basildon Biggles on 16/12/2009 07:36:49

Advert

I think you'll find the rear bearing could be metric (although the front one may well be imperial) if the later AX is anything to go by so might be worth re-measuring.  Any bearing stockist should be able to help - probably off the shelf...

I would get a rubber shielded variety for the front (a few pence more) and prise out the inner facing seal before fitting although you might want to stick with the manufacturers spec. for "safety".  I feel that having a seal at the front bearing makes for a more consistent fuel/air mixture...

Edited By Martin Harris on 16/12/2009 12:59:34

Bearings were ordered from 'Simply Bearings' on Wednesday, arrived Friday.  Correct Martin the front is IMP the rear METRIC.  The front bearing arrived shielded on both sides.  I've just removed one of these shields so, it'l be open internally. 

I did think about a rubber sealed one for the front, but, thought I'd stick with what was already inplace - being a novice. 

Found it surprisingly easy to take the engine apart. BTW - engine had less than 20 hrs on it:  And had ingested foriegn matter during the flight.  Still, I was surprised at the extent of the scoring of the crank chamber at the small end and in the linning. Pics in photo album.

BB

Have just  re-assemble engine with new bearings.  Feels very ok.  Hopefully will run in next week or so.  Beats buying a new one, though I did, just incase, an SC .46.  If the OS ax is ok. the SC  will have a home elsewhere.

Ok, my new OS .46ax went in from a height, due to main wing failure.  I took it home and stripped it down as much as I was comfortable with.  Got a new airframe and all was good, for about the next 10 hours (flight time).  During my last flight the engine went 'sick'.  Landed and found grinding when the prop was turned by hand.  I didn't want to be without a flight during xmas so went home and ordered a new SC .46 as a replacement.

Guys at the club said I'd need to pass the ax to a club member who could check and replace (if necessary) the bearings - between 40 - 50 quid !

So, went on internet meantime and found a video showing how to extract/replace bearings.  Sourced a Co called 'Simply bearings', and ordered a pair (front & back) including postage cost me £16.59p. Though if I'd chosen the cheaper options available I'd have paid less than £11-00p (incl P&P).  Ordered last Wednesday, arrived this Friday.
BTW - One well known national MS wanted to charge me £40-00p for the rear bearing alone !!!!!

Put the new bearings in Last night.  Run in today.  Excellent.  Feels like a brand new lump !!

I am no engineer when it comes to engines - equipment required:

1 x Modellers tap hammer
1 x Oven, gas mark 2 (10 mins)
1 x Tee towel
1 x Small piece of plywood (apprx 1cm x 5cm x 15cm).  To use as a workbench, tapping out the crank & bearings.
1 x Suitable allen key
1 x Cross head screwdriver

In other words don't be frightened of having a go.  Hope this helps anyone thinking of buying a new engine, when its not really necessary.

P.S.  4 strokes are just as easy.  Just more parts. Oh and you'll need a feeler gauge (phieler) not sure how its spelt.  Most low settings start at .040 (thou)

BB