August Edition CAP 21 Plans

Advert

Hi Martin, Why say sorry that you fly pattern? I admire the skill and precision of thre pattern flyer. I don't have the patience to practice to that extent. I heven never been a serious competition flyer, just entered a few for fun. 

My comment was not meant to be derogatory in any way, more to say that I do not fly with that degree of accuracy and that somene who does would want to trim the model to perfection.

"All wood is balsa unless otherwise stated" as they used to say. Use rock hard 1/4 square balsa for the spars.

I suggest you order by phone from SLEC as it will cost you about 2/3rds the price from your model shop including postage and it will be great quality wood AND they will select the grades that you ask for. Phone 01953 885279, Fax 01953 889393.

Email [email protected]

Note I have no connection with the company except as a very satisfied customer.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I've been building the CAP 21, i have tried to make my own canopy but it just doesn't look right.  I have tried to get on the Vortex Vacform website but i cant get on!! tried www.vortex-vacforms.co.uk but it won't load. can anyone tell me where I can get hold of the canopy elsewhere or does anyone have an email address for vortex.

I am also considering going electric with this model. I reckon I will probably need about a 600W set up. Does the weight in the spec in the mag (4lb 3oz) include th engine, servos and radio, can anyone give suggestions to motor ESC and battery set up.

Cant wait to fly this little baby!!

Mark.

Mark, have test flown mine a couple of times on a 3520 L with E-Max 60A esc and 3s2p 4400 pack turning APC 14x7E. It can cope with 14x11 super nylon but the performance so far suggests that this will not be necessary. The max. weight with that pack and the 14x11 would be 4lb2oz. The minimum with a 3s1p 3200 and 14x7 is 3lb13oz. On the first set up it goes vertical forever but have not been able to test further due to the inclement weather. See previous posts. Er, knife edge? No problem. 

Thanks Peter for the Vortex contact number. I called and he is sending me the canopy.

Martin that sounds a pretty reasonable set up. Did you have to alter the position of F1 to mount you motor, or did you build a mount for it.

As far as the knife edge goes I still have not mastered that manoever!! But hope to have a go with this model.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys.

Just wondering Peter, What is the "3/32"rolled sheet" that your refer to for covering the top of the fuselage? Is this a special type of balsa sheet?

Also have you got any hints for shaping the trailing edge so that I get an accurate and consistant shape along the entire length of a standard peice of trailing edge stock?  I was thinking of using two peices of 1-1/2" * 3/8" * 36" trailing edge stock from balsamart (http://balsamart.co.uk/upgrade/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=46_72&products_id=233)

Is this the easiest way to make it or am I missing something!  Really enjoying making your plan though albeit very slowly!! So thanks!

Sorry, I normally tell people how to do it. Take 3/32" sheet that bends esily across its width. Glue it vertically to the sides and allow to dry.

Wet the outside of the sheet and then apply heat with a heat gun while gently rolling the sheet over until it touches the formers.

Trim to the centre line of the spine. Repeat for the other side and glue down. I use map pins to hold it.

Very easy and works so well.

To make the trailing edge or in this case the ailerons, If I can't get stock trailing edge the right size I do the following.

Get a sheet of balsa the correct thickness or slightly thicker. Mark off the width of the trailing edge on each side of the sheet. Using a razor plane and a sanding block, (Permagrit blocks are greate for this) shape each side of the sheet to make a trailing edge. Then just cut them off.

If the sheet is thicker that the T.E. just mark them out slightly wider so that when cut to the correct width the cut is on the correct thickness.

• 2 months later...