Tony Nijhuis 63" Spit

Advert

Shaun, that looks great. You will welcome the extra length to get the cg correct, but I fear that the covering and paint will send it a long way back. I use a 1200 NiCad under the tank and a few ounces of lead in the nose with a YS63 up front, but I do build my tail ends very light. I covered mine in silver Solarfilm which is much easier to apply than the normal solid colours because it is thicker, then applied Humbrol enamel by brush, finally coating with 50/50 mixed Tufcote gloss/matt. Use plenty of elevator throw initially on take off. Good luck.

• 3 months later...
Hi all.  I just ordered the plans for this baby through "My Hobby Store".  Has anybody tried to build it with built up tail surfaces yet rather than the flat sheet ones?  Also, What does every body think of changing the wing attachment slightly and replicating the Gull Wing on the underside of the Fuse and Wing joint?
I guess that this would pull along just as well behind a 50 size two stroke?  Although a 60 size 4 stroke is going to sound soooo much better.

Cheers,

Hugh

Hi Hugh, my last post seems to have gone awol or maybe under another heading, but I made my 62" Spit with built up tail and control surfaces. This still requires a bit of lead up front but I do have two metal gear retract servos behind the wing centre. Will fly fine on a YS 53 turning a 13x5 wood but is better on a YS 63 turning a 11.5 x6 three blader. Pleeeeease don`t use a two stroke!

Thanks Martin.
Regarding 2 strokes, I am just tossing ideas around.  There are not a lot of 60 size 4 strokes around?  I have an OS 52 Surpass that I think might struggle.

The Hurricane is going to go first however, as I think it will hold it's own on the flight line a bit more than yet another Spit, even a scratch built one.  I get the impression that the wing loading on the Hurri might be a tad better too, which will suit my stage of flying ability.

Cheers,

Hugh

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Hi Will,

I don't know of any specific build thread, but this thread is full of a wealth of information that's helped me enormously.

It's long, as you can see we're on page 7 now, but if you take the time to read through there really is some gold in there.

Shaun K.

• 1 month later...
Well, being half way through the TN Hurricane, and having almost completely rebuilt my crashed Seagull PT-19 as well as assembling the Modeltec Dragon Lady I bought myself for christmas, I suddenly got the urge to start on the TN Spit.

I started cutting balsa an lightply on Thursday night.

I have the fuselage ready to install the upper and lower deckings and have one wing framed up and ready to sheet.

I cannot believe how quickly this goes together.

I have an ASP 61 Four stroke on order and a set of servo-less electronic retracts also coming.

It was watching the video that did it, I am sure of it...

Cheers,

Hugh

Edited By Hugh Coleman on 10/01/2010 11:21:37

• 5 weeks later...
Hi Will,

I have the retracts in situ (Needed to fit them before skinning the wing underside), but have not had an opportunity to test them since fitting as I have not yet got to the stage where I can cut the skinning away for the wheel wells.

I did do a test run before fitting.  They have a very scale like speed action and there is a slight asymetry between the two which should porduce a nice scale effect too.

I will have to strengthen the springs in the Oleos.  I think that as supplied, they are way to weak... Definitly will bottom out on anything but a perfect landing.

Aside from that, I am committed to at least giving them a go now, so wish me luck!

Cheers,

Hugh

Hi all
I'm new to this group.
Iwas wondering if any one has a list of the 'WoodPack' after buying the Lysander WoodPack I find that you can buy the wood direct from SLEC at considerably less than buying it from MyHobbyStore.  I aim to get the CNC pack to save the hasttle of cutting out ribs ect.
The plan looks great and from reading the thread my Laser 70 will fit a treat ( with slightly longer cowl).
Thanks
Hugh 2

Huge C,

Please keep me updated on the retracts. I am just getting to this stage and really would like to use servoless. i think eflite have some 60 size one out soon i may give them a go

Huge P,

Although i got the wood pack (I could tell you what it contained but i know i would forget something) it goes along the lines of 14x 2.4mm sheets 2x 6mm 2x 9mm 1x 12mm and some obechi wing spares ( i think 5mmx5mm). I was lucky and managed to get Tony Nijhuis him self to serve me at the slec UK tent so he was able to add wood for bits that might require extra (in case of mistakes) and so far i can tell you that i need some more 12mm.

but if i were you i would talk to Ian at Slec UK and he can prepare you a wood pack all for you but i would add some extra wood (mainly the 2.4mm sheeting and 12mm sheet).

thanks,
Will

well remember that all of the fuselage sides are included in the CNC pack along with the sheet tail surfaces. All you have to do is add the decking so I think that the CNC is well worth it. And you get computer aided precision. There is yet a part that i have come across that is incorrect. 

Hi all,

For those of you that have struggled to find a decent captain for the cockpit of your Spitfire, like I did for a long time, I'd like to point out an option. I found plenty of options for 1/6 scale but they are all too large for this 'plane and I couldn't find a thing in 1/7 scale that suited.

Following a brief ad in the RCM&E mag, I checked out the stately gentleman below from Giant Cod. From now on we will call him Clive.

Clive is quoted as being 1/6 but I think he's a little closer to 1/7 scale. He fits perfectly in the office of the 62" Nijhuis Spit - at least to my eyes he is just the right size.

Moreover, from clicking on the Checkout button on the Giant Cod site to arrival in my mailbox IN AUSTRALIA was only 7 days.

I'm super-impressed with both Clive and Giant Cod.

Before anyone asks, no I'm not on the take, a relative or agent, just happy to share a case of good service.

Shaun K.

Edited By Shaun K on 03/03/2010 13:44:58

Edited By Shaun K on 03/03/2010 13:47:22