Soldering safety tip of the day

Ian W

Advert

Lesson leant when I was a little'un.Don't hold the soldering iron over your hand when not soldering with a big lump of melted solder on the tip.Still got the scar where it dripped off onto the back of my hand.Tried not to tell mum in case she banned me from soldering though.Also got scar on end of thumb from stanley knife slip(oops).

Any burn other than very minor. Cool with clean cold water for at least ten minutes. Do NOT rub with anything. Any burn which blisters or otherwise breaks the skin, cool first, then cover with CLEAN plastc such as cling wrap to help prevent infection and prevent any dressing from sticking. A layer of preferably clean cloth may be added as a cover and something cold such as a bag of frozen veg may be applied to keep the area cool.

Other than very minor burns seek medical help after following the above advice, Large or penetrating burns phone 999, then follow the above advice.

Don't drop a soldering iron on soft furniture, and especially don't sit on them.

Having been flying this morning I came home to an empty house at about 2:30pm. Grabbed a snack went to the workshop. Good afternoon's building, happy as Larry (whoever he is). Then about 6:00pm the Misses and my daughter come in from shopping. I'm at a complex part of the build - not quite sure how the next bit is going to go. She comes into the workshop and asks some routine question, I go "Uhh?" she repeats question - much more forceably this time - trying to break through the haze of my preoccupation - "Oh, its over there" I reply, pointing with my right hand, which is holding a scapel which I deftly jab about 1/4" straight into my left thumb.

"Oh my goodness gracous me" I said - or something like that.

Moral Number One: Listen to SWMBO immediately.

Moral Number Two: Put down tools before pointing.

Moral Number Three: If you.ve had some good flights a bit of building - quit while you're ahead!

BEB 

(getting slowly more off topic!) I was soldering my shiny new lipos to new connecters (who uses EC3s anyway?) and I descovered I had blood all over my hands and a bit on my lipos. Confused me since I was in no pain at all, and hadn't so much as burnt my self. After around 5 minuits I noticed that there was an odd looking "splodge" (for want of a better word) of paint on the workbench. Closer inspection revealed that it was infact just red paint left over from my dads work- bench-hogging painting activerties. I realised that I must have inadvertently put the tip of my thumb in it!

Nothing like a bad story to make people baord... (chuckle!)

birdy