Mode Survey - Results

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother on 01/03/2010 00:25:19:
Hi Steve,

generally I would agree with you. Reading Timbo's description I would have usually said he was "self taught". But....in the context of this survey it was probably appropritate for him to describe himself as "instructed". This is because, if you think about it, even a very few "lessons" would interfere with the mode choice as its almost the first thing you do. This would then prevent it from being truely random, influencing it one way or the other. The fact that Timbo hales from the West Midlands, which is an area in which Mode 1 is popular, and he does indeed fly mode 1 would tend to bear this out. Not conclusive of course - but consistent.

The original reason for asking the question was to see if there was any evidence that totally self-taught fliers exhibited a random mode distribution, or if there was indeed any evidence of a "natural" mode amongst them. Either of these could be concluded from the evidence we have gathered. For this to work it really should have been made clearer by me at the outset that any instruction - no matter how little - would mean you would have to go into the "instructed" camp.

BEB

aha i'm not trying to cause an issue just looking at the question objectively, but did timbo not take a model to the field ready to fly if so he had already made his mode choice if he had gone to the field prior to building a model and buying radio gear then yes that could hinder the mode choice of course.......i used to do RC cars and i'm right handed so natural mode for me is mode 2.
nasa

Posted by nasa_steve on 01/03/2010 18:46:01:
Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother on 01/03/2010 00:25:19:
Hi Steve,

generally I would agree with you. Reading Timbo's description I would have usually said he was "self taught". But....in the context of this survey it was probably appropritate for him to describe himself as "instructed". This is because, if you think about it, even a very few "lessons" would interfere with the mode choice as its almost the first thing you do. This would then prevent it from being truely random, influencing it one way or the other. The fact that Timbo hales from the West Midlands, which is an area in which Mode 1 is popular, and he does indeed fly mode 1 would tend to bear this out. Not conclusive of course - but consistent.

The original reason for asking the question was to see if there was any evidence that totally self-taught fliers exhibited a random mode distribution, or if there was indeed any evidence of a "natural" mode amongst them. Either of these could be concluded from the evidence we have gathered. For this to work it really should have been made clearer by me at the outset that any instruction - no matter how little - would mean you would have to go into the "instructed" camp.

BEB

aha i'm not trying to cause an issue just looking at the question objectively, but did timbo not take a model to the field ready to fly if so he had already made his mode choice if he had gone to the field prior to building a model and buying radio gear then yes that could hinder the mode choice of course.......i used to do RC cars and i'm right handed so natural mode for me is mode 2, the guy that took off for me on my very first flight because that was it after that i did it myself, did not influence my decision as to which mode to go for ,but i consider myself to be self taught.
nasa

I did take the model and radio gear to the field complete and ready to go ( after spending several weeks building the model - "Cotswold Square One " )
There was no "mode" discussion with myself at the model shop where I bought everything and I seem to recall that the set ( futaba ) was non changeable and all the sets in the shop were the same "mode" I think.
As it happens ( and I guess un-surprisingly ) all the guys at the field flew the same way, and pretty well all had the same sets too!
There simply wasnt the choice so readily available in those days - I even remember the servos were "handed" red and blue labels I think.

• 2 weeks later...
Some realy interesting stuff here. I am a mode 2 flyer who started trying to fly mode 1 but it was quickly realised by an instructor that I was naturally mode 2 by the way I twiddled the sticks....I only became mode one becasue that was what the fellow in the model shop dsaid I needed up here in the north!

I cannot help feel that mode 1 flyers are probably those who have been flying longest or have been inlfuenced by those who have been flying longest? Is there any data to support / refute this?

I also think that we are all to some degree self taught - once the basics have been mastered we practice on our own, probably when we are only just profficient enough to get up and then get down in some sort of fashion. Once I had learned how to get up and stay up I bought.used a Ripmax Coyote to help me develop skills in a field near my home and them moved onto a Mutliplex EasyGlider (motorised) for the same purpose. That was all good self teaching that helped me when I moved on to aerobatic powered models.....but I still go back to my favourite instructor now and then (not too proud to go on the buddy lead) who is still teaching me the finer points of flying and he is mode one!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
I think a lot of early mode 1 flyers migrated from reed sets, on these sets the switches for ailerons and elevators were seperated with the ailerons on the right and ele on the left. This was because not all channels could be used simultaneously, the channel switches were laid out in two columns and only one switch on either side (2 channels) could be used together.

I started RC by fitting single channel radio into a free flight glider, then into a FF power model. I eventually bought a three channel propo set which had two single axis sticks for ail (or rudder) and elevator. Throttle was a small trim type lever between the sticks. Hence I am a totally self taught mode 1 flyer.

This is a very interesting survey and discussion.

I am from the US where Mode 2 is truly the standard.  I don't think I have ever met a pilot who flew mode 1.

I get the impression from the thread that Mode 1 used to be more common in UK, but that the trend is moving toward Mode 2.  Is that correct?

Good question Ed!  I've always flown Mode 2 and learnt in the North-East about 35 years ago.  I didn't see anybody on Mode 1 at that time.  I now live in the South East and have only flown with 1 (maybe 2?) people here on Mode 1 in the last 18 or so years. 

The Midlands appears to be the "hotspot" of Mode 1 use  - I wouldn't be surprised if that got gradually eroded over time until it disappeared.  New gear usually comes in Mode 2 so a concious decision is required to switch to Mode 1.  Furthermore Mode 2 is more like "playstation mode" that many newbies will be familiar with,  so anybody going it alone is likely to be on Mode 2,  even in an area with a lot of Mode 1 users.

As a side issue,  it is often stated that mainland Europe is largely Mode 1.  I wonder how true that is?

Edited By John Privett on 02/04/2010 11:05:59

• 10 months later...
Fascinating stuff........I started 58 years ago with FF no mode, then ED thermionic ,no mode, then Mcgregor bang bang no mode then futaba challenger proportional,the shop only had mode 1 and i was at that time a lone fly-er so i taught my self on an own design 60 in span cubish looking model,have flown mode 1 ever since,but can fly mode 2 and do to get students out of bother ,or test flights.

Edited By tom wright 2 on 11/02/2011 17:35:06