RCMCM F3F Predator or Typhoon or Vector 3

Advert

Faster servo may be of some use to a heli pilot or perhaps even a 3d guy -- but a glider?

If faster servos are needed why not consider buying faster servos, instead of pushing the servo limits by adding more voltage. Or simply change the linkage arrangement to suit your needs.

Decisions to fit 5 cells are often based purely around the idea that by adding another cell you will get extra performance. Yes you will get extra speed and torque the price of which is reduced reliability. I'm not saying don't use 5 cells just consider is it necessary. 

Consider that 5 cell packs are 20% more unreliable than  4 cell packs and that they offer no increase in capacity and drop voltage faster when nearing depletion, factor in the reduced servo life, and then ask should I have bought faster servos or even do I need faster servos.

I wonder how many people take the trouble of sizing servos appropriately for the model. There is software that will help with this. The Heli business has given us some fantastically fast servos, and the car business some fantastically powerful ones - so choosing an appropriate servo is becoming easier.

If you simply fit the fastest most powerful servo you can afford then you will be adding a potential for further problems. Consider a servo that gets hung up, a 9kg digi servo will quickly put your battery under pressure. If a smaller servo had been used perhaps the battery would have managed to stay green for long enough to land safely.

Consider Spektrum - I have no experience of this so it's just my thoughts - but its only difference to 35mhz is the system browns out at a slightly higher voltage setting, but both will brown out if the battery cannot supply at this level.

I discharge my packs to 1.1v per cell, so a 4 cell pack should be around 4.4 when 'flat' higher than a Spektrum cut off point.

So what causes a battery to drop its voltage so low that brown outs occur?

A charged 4 cell pack will be above 4 v. So it's down to C ratings.

If the C rating is insufficient then the extra cell will give you some head room - but will an extra 1.1v save you? I doubt it. If you have fitted appropriate (C) batteries then their V will be critically low because of some problem within the circuit. The first indication you will have of having a critical problem will be when the model browns out. Hopefully a small warning shot that will give you notice to land PDQ. The point at which you get this warning will be the same V on a 5 or a 4 cell pack. What then becomes important is the packs ability to recover long enough for you to land. If 5 cell packs loose V quicker than 4, then perhaps the 4 will give you more time (if there is time to be had).

Spektrum and 5 cell will be only of any use against very poor unsuitable battery packs that are on the limits of usability because of very poor C ratings, here a 4 cell pack may just dip under the critical point with normal usage and the 5 cell pack may just hold above it. This is not a solution in my mind - it's a mask that may be useful to absolute novices who buy cells from the market and have no understanding. But folk on this board surely have more knowledge than that.

Many years ago I had a load of servos that were continually burning out their motors, I complained to the manufacturers and while I believe these were from a faulty batch, the replacement motors also burnt out quickly. Right from the off the manufacturer made comments about using them on 6V, despite the fact that they were advertised as such.

Something for nothing -- I don't think so. Use 6V if you need to push your system to get the performance that is needed. But I would suggest that you don't use it just because you can.

I have used both and I cannot notice any performance difference when flying a glider between a 4 and a 5 cell pack, except my models have been more reliable on 4 cells.

Mike

That settles it Tim - He definately goes on like the Mike Evans I know!

Andy (who uses 4 and 5 cells with his spektrum and can't tell the difference........)

PS I can tell the difference between good servos and bad especially at sub 40 speeds with a wing tip inches away from the front of the wrecker.

Posted by Mike Evans 2 on 24/02/2010 16:05:16:
So who here can tell the difference between a 4 and a 5 cell pack when flying their model?

Who here feels they need faster servos when flying their model?

These 'benefits' are often spouted about but I seriously doubt that anyone who has flown a glider with a charged 4 cell pack has felt the need to add a cell.

These 'benefits' come at a cost, so it may well be worth understanding before you just plump for bigger is better, I don't believe it is in this case

And don't tell me you have to use 5 cell on 2.4 cause I don't believe that either.

(pet hate)

I wish some people would leave their pet hates at home, all we want is some fun! 

• 2 months later...
Well, I finally bought my first mouldie, and guess what, its none of the above

My mate Paul noticed a Artist F3F going cheap on BMFA classifieds, a quick trip down to the lovely Leek & Moorland Glider club (they have carparks at the top of hills!) and it was a done deal. Just needed one of the V-tails sorting out, but its all good now, just need to center some servos and its off to the slopes