Throttle linkage?

Hello,

Why do we use the type of throttle linkage at the servo end that we do?
What i mean is, the type were there is a small metal adapter on top of the servo arm and then the throttle rod goes through a little hole in this adapter and is secured with a grub screw.

I have just fitted mine and it occurred to me, that if that grub screw loosened at full or even half throttle it is game over!!!!

Why don't we use a more secure method?

Really interested to hear your thoughts.

Advert

I use a z bend on the carb end of the link and a metal clevis on the other,has never let me down yet but still allows for adjustment.
The way i look at all linkages is to keep them as short ,simple and sucure as possible the less joints etc in the link the less there is to go wrong. 

You can get them from any online stores or pop into Swindon Model Shop, it's not too far away and they have a selection of pushrods.

I only fitted the ball joints because I wasn't happy with the quality of the clevises and pushrods that came in the kit. I replaced them with carbon rods, ball joints or metal clevises.

Carbon is a nice material to make pushrods out of, it's easy to cut to size, easy to epoxy whatever fitting you like on the end, it has a huge amount of flex for taking up angles where metal would have to be bent and it's light weight.

Surely it's about time engine makers fitted a servo instead of a throttle arm so that we could just plug it in instead of having rods, cables or having to adjust the throw.

Somebody must have thought of this before.......is it patented?  Or should I have patented it before posting this!

Posted by kc on 23/01/2010 17:21:20:
Surely it's about time engine makers fitted a servo instead of a throttle arm so that we could just plug it in instead of having rods, cables or having to adjust the throw.

Somebody must have thought of this before.......is it patented?  Or should I have patented it before posting this!

Next you'll be saying my idea for a bagless vacuum cleaner should have been patented

Ross, not sure if Swindon have carbon rods but I've got about 5 meters of 2mm and a meter of 1.5mm if you need some. Just let me know and I'll drop some round or meet you at the model club on base.