Slingsby Kadet Glider

ericrw

Advert

Actually it was called the Kirby Cadet Mk 3.

My recollection is that it was mostly silver with black lettering and standard red/white/blue RAF roundels, but I think it might have had red wing band near each wingtip, and a red band round the fuselage aft of the wing.

Later than above ... 

Just found a couple of links with photos - one in colour - my old memory is not so bad after all!

Hope this helpful.  RW

Edited By Romeo Whisky on 24/01/2010 14:26:24

Thanks Romeo,   I have a B&W photo of the Glider when I soloed but I cannot remember the colour scheme.   I'm building the Kadet from a kit I bought from SAMS of Herts.   I don't suppose they send Cadets to solo on their own nowerdays, H&S factor.  And the Instructors, on the ground, hoping the Cadet can remember what he/she has been told in respect of releasing the tow-line, stalling and landing.   I wouldn't argue the point but I seem to think it was a Mk2 Kadet; is this possible bearing in mind it was the Forties?? Eric.

Thanks for the photos Kevin.  I recollect that the Kadets I trained on were Silver..   We didn't have dual seaters in my day.    Over a period of 6 Sundays, if you were successful you received your "A" licence, signed by Lord Brabazon of Tara.   When I was referring to going solo; you were solo from the first day which entailed being winched across the Airfield with two Cadets holding the wing tips.  Second Sunday you were winched across the field maintaining balance by using the Joystick.  By the 4th Sunday you were airborne but still attached to the Winch.   On the 6th Sunday you were Solo, by reaching a good height (can't remember the height), releasing the tow-line and carrying out a controlled Stall and landing.  I expect H&S would have something to say about that nowadays.   As you say Happy Days!!  Eric.

• 2 months later...
Bert and Eric -  you will see from my avatar and nick-name that I also 'flew' the T38 with the CCF. This was in the North of Scotland in Aberdeen.

I was a very light fellow and it became a  mission by the bungee launch crew to get me as high as possible which they did on several occasions in the school playing fields. It would never be allowed in these nanny days of course but we all loved the kick.

Now I build and fly slope soarers and would like to build a model T38, radio controlled of course.
Any ideas where I might source a plan?

Thanks Peter.
I have probably more than enough info. on the body (can't really call it a fuselage!) but the wing profile is a different story. Also as most photos are taken from the side it is not easy to determine the exact makeup. On this site there are some shots of stripping and rebulding a wing and I am using these to try to concoct a rough wing plan just for starters.

I have also contacted this same site as they have copies of original docs. - especially

Form 3935/3936
Glider (& Winged Target) Servicing Form

• Record of components (F3936)
Question is will they release them - we will see.
If you are interested in keeping up with my progress let me know.
Peter

• 3 months later...
Eric,

From my course at RAF Spitalgate (1968) near Grantham the colour scheme from memory was silver with Yellow bands on the fus and wings, standard RAF Roundels, and Air cadets stenciled on either side of the nose.

Chris.

Edited By Big Bandit on 24/07/2010 22:57:21

Hi Eric,

I remember when I was young going to the seaside with the parents, and passing Spitalgate airfield on the way. Watching the gliders going up on the winch I told my dad that I would do that one day. Spitalgate was number 1 GTS and a satellite field for RAF Cranwell as was Barkstone Heath at that time, again from memory. They had a number of Slingsby's and two Sedgburg's, hope I've got the spelling correct.

I still do a bit at Husbands Bosworth occasionally when I have time, but only dual these days, although the gliders have changed, and they have super chipmunk tuggs. They use the winch later on, on summer evenings. And they serve a decent pint in the bar.

Is the kit your building the Aerographics one, where you can build either of two versions, I have one in the shed and the Chipmunk, at the minute I'm building their Hunter for ducted fan free flight.

Cheers,

Chris.

Hi Eric,

No sorry I'm not a member of the Burbage club, in fact I don't belong to a club at the moment, and have not got too many flying sessions in since my heart problem earlier in the year.And of course some Muppet writing my car off in may. Now I have another Audi (picked it up just over a week ago), Ive got more surgery to come in August, and will not be able to drive for at least two months, so I'll be doing nothing at least until October. Sods law I suppose. . At least I'm getting some shed time in. When I'm fit again I'll join the Loughborough Club as they have 3 fields to fly from and it's only a spit up the road. From what I've seen at the annual swap meet each December, they seem to be a decent set of lads. I'm only about 3 miles from Burbage so I'll check it out one Sunday, and  I've got a Jumper 25 in the shed with a SC36 in it, fancy doing my A with that.

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited By Big Bandit on 27/07/2010 21:57:22

Eric,

Just a thought, if you go stomping around the woods at the back of the Burbage flying field, and come across a Don Stothers Mighty Midge with a Cox 020 strapped to the front, it's mine. White tissue covered fus and red tissue covered wings, lost it in 1985 .

Cheers,

Chris.