Word processor for a netbook?

David Ashby - Moderator

I wonder if any of the more compuer savvy folks can help.

Mrs A is thinking about getting a little netbook. We've noticed they don't have a disk drive and they all come with windows 7 but no word processor supplied. Currys will sell us a word/works suite of programmes when we buy the machine but all she needs is a simple word processor that's MS word compatible.

Are thyere any cheap, perhaps downloadable word processors that we could look at?

Advert

I use open office for all my work - it has it's own version of word, excel, powerpoint, access and so on and is superb.  Plus the support side is a million times better than microsofts.

I have it on my netbook (acer) that I am using to type this and it work perfectly.  I can put fire service lectures together with no cross-compatability issues and so on.

She'll never want word again...

Talking of external hard drives.

You might be interested in the "ClickFree external Backup" This little hard drive can be plugged into a USB socket and will automatically back up all you files on all your computers.

This means that you can have access to any file on any computer without netwarking.

Back upo really is clcikfree. Just plug in and it does everything automatically. You might have to click on "My computer the first time you plug it in.

MIne is 120 mm X 75 mm X 15 and holds 160 Gb, About £100 from Amazon.

Plug it in again and it automatically backs up all the new files

Heck seems to run fine,but on saying that Austen my old pentium 3 450mhz will run software that my Toshiba NB100 wont run? must be something to do with the gfx chipset?? not bad for a £200 netbook will have to look into a trade in if thats the case i always assumed netbooks were purely just laptop for surfing the net and genral light duties but it appears not technology moves so fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.