SC 46 Front bearing ??

Kelly

Hi all,

I have an SC46 bought second-hand.

When I turn the engine over with the prop just finger  tight  it seems fine, but the more I tighten the nut the the stiffer it becomes to turn over and the bearing at the front seems to be grinding.

Do I need a new bearing or is it just "a little tight "as some people have said  to me about SC engines

Cheers

Kelvin.

Advert

Hi Martin,

The washer is there, I swapped the prop driver and washer from my other SC46 just to rule out any wear in the prop driver and washer, still the same.

It appears to be  little run engine still boxed  in pristine condition, may try running it on a test stand to see what happens

Cheers

Kelvin. 

The tightness you've been told about should only happen at one point in the rotation - around top dead centre. I'm afraid roughness isn't a good sign. I think you might need to check the bearings are sound, are the correct ones and are seated properly - perhaps someone has replaced them? Is there any sign of rubbing under the prop driver?

Hi Martin,

No sign of rubbing,may strip out the front bearing and replace it .

It turns over better without the prop,but there is a little roughness, looks like it is  the bearing .

I will be buying new from now on .

Kelvin

This will probably cause a ruction. If the prop driver is on a taper( I'm not sure on the SC) put SMALL amount of aluminium kitchen foil round the crank and then carefully replace the prop driver, one wrap will probably be enough. If this does not help then you may have to replave both bearing as the rear bearing takes more of the thrust.

I have a new SC 52 and when trying to start it recently it sounded terrible. All the experts decided something terrible had happened inside th engine.Sent it back tio the shop and it was the prop nut(alli spinner type,bottoming before it fully tightened the prop.Id even removed the spinner and tightened said nut up to no avail, so I thought the prop nut was tight enough.The engine felt as if it was seizing because of the newness and the taper in the bore

With the prop off there should be some play, about 0.25mm lateral.  Anymore, and I'd investigate further.

If your going to replace the front bearing.  You may as well strip down the engine completely and have a good look. Take the head off first and shine a light into the pot.  Look for loose 'particles' on the P/head.

Glenn's right the rear bearing and conrod take the main pressures.  If its fallen on its nose at sometime, that is where you should be looking.

Stripping these engines down is very easy.  Bearings are cheap.  Its the liner and piston replacement that hurt the most £66.00p for an OS .46ax.

There are some helpful clips on Youtube

BB

Stephen,

There will always be play in an LA - they use plain bushes so there's no positive axial location. Your mention of the prop nut bottoming could be relevent though - reminds me of a clubmate's engine that felt awful - until I noticed that the prop was slightly loose (prop nut and locknut firmly locked together but he hadn't tightened the prop nut before the locknut. The prop was slipping on the driver serrations coming up to compression...