Replacement Trainer

ericrw

After crashing my Wot 4 yesterday;I was going to rush round to my LMS this morning to buy another Trainer model to fit all my recovered bits, Engine Irvine 53, Futaba Servos and receiver into the new model.   This morning in the clear light of day, I've decided to seek Forum's opinion on a replacement Trainer.   I would like it to be capable of accepting the Irvine 53.   Thanks Eric.

Advert

Ha! Ha! 

I read this post a couple of mins ago and I thought exactly the same -  "well you'd be hard pushed to beat another WOT4" - but as I didn't think that was perhaps what Eric was looking for I resisted the temptation!

Good Ole Timbo!

BEB

PS Sorry about your crash Eric - I don't mean to make light of it. Its just the coincidence.

Two points gentlemen.

1. A WOT 4 is not a trainer.
2. A WOT 4 with an Irvine 53 is a pretty hot set-up.

If you're a beginner Eric, I'm not surprised you crashed it.

So.. Suggestions for a nice big trainer capable of handling an Irvine 53?

I wonder what I could recommend..... 

Good point by David Davis

your engine would suit a larger ( ie .60 size trainer) better. there are a few about the telemaster would not be a bad place to start looking.

the .53 would be a little large for the Boomerang or arising star. the WOT trainer is recommended for up to .46  as a trainer. the smallest recommended prop for your .53 engine would tame the power output a little.

As stated above the WOT4 is not a trainer. 

Edited By Phil B on 08/02/2010 13:33:49

Let's get one thing clear - a Wot 4 with no dihedral, an
'unsympathetic' colour scheme & a .53 at full bore is not a trainer.
It can be tamed down a bit - the instructions (kit version!) detail this.
Every Tx has a throttle stick!
I learnt to fly (with an instructor) back in the early '80's
with a Wot 4 mk1.
Don't dismiss it entirely.

I have a Boomerang that was my trusty trainer and it has an Irvine 53 in it already. It just so happens that i was thinking of selling it on minus engine and radio gear, soooooo If you're interested and not too far from either Northamptonshire or Oxfordshire maybe i can be of help? PM me if you're interested.

Hi Eric,

sorry to hear about your plane there. I cant really say much on the Wot 4 as ive never flown one but plenty of my club mates have and say that they are an ideal trainer.
The ones with the Wot 4 also have a Prangster which is a brilliant trainer.

Id suggest getting one of these (Prangster), reason being is because when you start learning is probably one of the most expensive times of your hobby. Learning to take off and land your almost more than likely to mess up somewhere along the line and when you crash a balsa plane your almost always gonna have to pay out to replace parts/fix it or buy another one.

Ive seen it so many times at our patch now, people reccomending the Prangster to beginners and the beginners always fob it off as its ugly lol!, but low and behold after crashing thier trainer and wipeing it out they buy a Prangster. Some people it takes two trainers wiped out lol!.

The Prangster does not have the same low speed handling as the Wot but it does have the fact that you can crash it throughout the day and carry on flying (with spare cheap parts) throughout the day, you need as much time on the sticks as poss when learning and if youv wiped out a plane it might take a little time to replace it and build another.

I crashed mine from 400ft (broken spar) and the only damage was a broken prop, bent undercarriage, engine mount and spar, sounds alot but I had spares there. The only thing i didnt have was a spar, I ran down the lms and got a carbon rod, never broke again. So if you get the kit use a carbon spar.

Prangster's my reccomendation, hope this helps you, all the best.

Posted by IanN on 08/02/2010 15:36:37:
Posted by Jonathan Lewzey on 08/02/2010 15:07:03:
Irvine Tutor 40 . All the best pilots learn on them

Jonathan, I wholeheartedly agree with you, but isn't it (sadly) now discontinued?

i don't know . you can probably still get them if you look hard enough. Model shops in particular usually have old stock.

Someone searched everywhere for anIrvine Tutor 40 without luck I saw one at a local model shop  but they closed down.The Wot trainer is good,youll prefer it to the Wot 4,I preferred the Boomerang because I had one.The Wot trainer did did have some issues but the were sorted out in about March 2009 so it should be OK now

Fella's someones not looking hard enough lol!, www.tjdmodels.com Irvine Tutor 40 for £66.99.

I really dont know what the fascination is with the Wot 4 lol!, I know its a good plane but people make out its one of a kind, not true.
There are plenty of other planes out there which are great trainers, some planes arnt trainers but are very capable of being one (ie.. Fun fly).

I think there's alot of hype over this model when really its just a trainer which can take you to further aerobatic's, maybee it sounds like im bitching lol.

I think alot of experienced modelers out there forget how expensive it is starting off in this hobby the bump's and wipeout's, there's alot of trainer's on the market. Broaden your horrizons and get something that can fly great and take a knock as well.

Just from my experiences, people say that a tricyle undercarriage is great for learning, I disagree. The amount of learners down my field ive seen going home after thier first landing because of a broken nose wheel is ridiculouse lol.
Id say tail wheel or tail dragger any day, its all about time on the sticks when learning.

Wot 4, Wot 4, Wot 4, Wot 4, Wot 4, Wot 4,! lol!.

As I've implied above - WOT 4 fan!

But, its true the WOT 4 with a Irvine 53 on board does go a bit - I know cos that's the set up in mine  Then, as others say the throttle sticj does way both ways!

One alternative - depending on how much stick time you've got in, is the Ready 3 as reviewed in Feb's mag. Got a good write up as a sort of "follow on" trainer that's pretty tough. And apparently it can handle the B schedule - so not just a docile trainer.

BEB