The "GumCam"

Don't know if these instructions are any good for the folks with date/time issues.  I purchased x2 Keyfob Cameras recently from HK £7:20p (ea).  I made some amendments to the original instructions, which work for my cameras.

There are two methods of date removal.  Video dub whereby the original video is resized, effectivley 'cropped'.  So as to remove the date/Year etc.  The other method is to 'smudge' the original overlayed (date/time).  Again this requires re-editing of the original footage.  There are some links to be found on YouTube.  Start your search with - Remove date and time etc.

Click on the pic to enlarge.

BB

Edited By Basildon Biggles on 13/03/2010 22:41:45

That looks to be the same method I used to reset the date on mine - though the instructions I followed (from a website) stated that the name of the file (tag.txt) should be in lower case!  Whether upper case would have worked or not I don't know as I didn't try it.

One other clarification.  Whilst the images and video files are stored on the card in a sub-directory DCIM/100MEDIA,   the tag.txt file has to be placed in the root directory on the card for the date change to work.  Once the camera reads the tag.txt file (and changes its date) it deletes the file.

When I tried it lower case it didn't work for my cameras.  Only works if I use upper case.  Your correct the root dir is where the 'TAG' file is created after the format, DCIM is inherent.  Ive just tested one camera not used these past 7 days.  Date & Time are still correct.
BB

Edited By Basildon Biggles on 14/03/2010 00:20:30

Thought I'd bore you all with another short vid from late this afternoon . The editing isn't up to much but I just made a hole in the Easyglider cockpit and wedged it in:

I have found that the only way I can retain the date/time, once I have used the 'tag' file, is to not switch off the camera and just let the Auto-Off function work. The only problem I then found was that if I connect it to the PC when still switched on, the 'computer says no'............
Unless someone can come up with a definitive cure, I'm going to have to live with it!

Pete 

Not boring at all Pete, nice video.  I like the "wedged it in" - 'invention, the mother of necessity.'  Cool.  I guess the Gumcam software is a little different to the 'keyfob cam'.  Shame.

I've done some further tests on my Keyfob cam the date does appear to be set for the USA market, i.e. month 1st, followed by day & year.  In lower numerical values you can briefly change this format.

But when one considers paying £45.00p 3 years ago for a 'flycamone' plus £16.00p for a standard 2 gHZ SD card (large size).  Whats to complain about eh ?!

BB

Ive read this thread with great intrest as Ive just won a "lighter cam" off ebay for £9.00 inc p&p. Theres quite a few listed but they are all the same thing /  similar  to this
It seems very similar to the gum cam except the lens is on the end of the body meaning it can lay flat which might make it easier to strap onto a fuselage. Also the resolution is a bit higher at 1280x960.

I'll let you know what its like once its found its way from Hong Kong

Edited By Timbo - Administrator on 16/03/2010 09:58:47

Well I got my GumCam exactly two weeks to the day from Kowloon in Hong Kong. I got myself a mini SD card and it was off to the flying site on Mothering Sunday (Well the wife was working so'.............).  I found that one way to keep a record of the Tag Text File was to create a folder in the root directory and put a copy in therre. This way I didn't need to keep re-typing it, just change the date and time etc. I've uploade my video to YouTube under Bardney Flyers.

The video is better quality on my computer but hey, it gets the message across. The Sunday was dull and overcast with a gusting stiff croswind. Not exactly great weather for this sort of thing as the model got blown around a bit. Anyway, here it is.

Just a quick update on the "lighter" cam that I ordered, It came today and Im pretty impressed. Incredibly, despite the ebay item description saying that it didnt come with a memory card it did! and a 4Gb at that! I paid £9.03 from ebay seller yrdstock. Ive only tried it around the house so far but the quality is every bit as good as a gum cam, it has the same date issues as well!

The photo below shows the position of the lens & mic

I'll hopefully have a chance to try it on a plane this weekend if the weather is good.