Carl Goldberg Ultimate, Where are you now?

I was looking through my squadron as you do during winter and my eyes settled on a sad looking decommisioned Carl Goldberg Ultimate Bipe that had seen many years of sterling service.

I am sure with a little TLC and an OS 120 Fs engine sitting idly on the shelf she could be restored to life. However, I thought it might be nice to build another one.

My internet research showed that Carl Goldberg was bought out by Great Planes in 2007 and a number of CG kits were discontinued (such as the excellent Extra 300 and Ultimate). Presumably this is because nobody wants to build them any more, as it's nearly all ARTFs.  I don't suppose anybody knows where I can liberate an unbuilt Ultimate kit from or one that is collecting dust on a shop shelf? 

Advert

Cheers Paul!  Apparently the kits come from Belgium now and will take 2 weeks or more. Hmmm.........presumably because the pound ain't worth a carrot vs the euro accounts for the price in excess of £215.00. I don't remember what I paid originally but I don't think is was more than £130 given the plane has to be built and is not an ARTF

• 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Currently on holiday with time on my hands! So, got to thinking about this again (kit remains untouched). Adrian, now that you've gotten into petrol, what engine would you now opt for in the Ultimate? Ken used a 90fs, what did you use originally?

Given that the weights compare with a 120fs, I am swaying towards the dle20ra. I am thinking of parting with my P47 as I cannot really fly it from my field.

Edited By Rich2 on 07/04/2017 16:50:11

Edited By Rich2 on 07/04/2017 16:52:39

Posted by paul duguid on 12/02/2010 16:51:21:
It does seem steep for a kit!!

If you fancied building from a plan, I built one from a Guiseppe Ghisleri plan, 1.20 4str. Fantastic!

There is a build thread and plan on RcGroups (not mine), I hope I am allowed to post a link to this:

Paul

I built this from plans a few years ago and stuck a Satio 150 in it. Highly recommended. I'm "Monkey001" on the above thread!

I was gutted when I lost it due to an engine cut at an inappropriate height.

Mmmmmm...... not sure. There are a few good cheap glow engines around today, but I found it was a one constant battle against oil ingress. A decent size petrol would be better and running costs lower. Your suggestion of a 20 cc petrol sounds about right. I am sure I have half an ultimate kit of spare wood etc that I can't remember how I aquired.

I replied to the other thread so I might as well put it here as well but I think the 180 is far too much. With the model intended for 60 2 and 90 4 stroke our 100 will easily fly the model. Our 155 would damn near tear it apart (I almost destroyed a wot4 XL with our 155)

Our 180 petrol will be quite a lump as it was always intended as a scale engine so has a large heat sink for a crankcase to help it out in cowlings etc. Currently its hauling an 85'' model of about 20-22lbs as a torture test. I'm trying too get a video shot showing the performance.

I guess the other important issue, is whether people are adding lead to the nose to balance? I hate doing that and would rather fit a bigger motor.

I have never owned a Laser so the 100 is tempting, I wonder if it would fit inside the cowl, sidewinder?

Edited By Rich2 on 08/04/2017 12:44:09

It should fit, its no taller than an OS91 and sideways would be my recommended installation.

For props, 14x7, 15x6 or 15x8 depending on your preference. the smallest of those will hit about 9k or a shade over, the 15x8 should still hit around 8k on 5% nitro so no shortage of power there.