A Good Portable Plane Kit

James40

Hi folks, Most of my time at work is spent flying between deserts so I get little time at home with good weather to get some flying in. With all my time being spent in areas with superb flying conditions it seems silly not to carry a model around with me. My criteria would be: It has to be portable, something I can put in a bag or a light weight box that will survive being transported around the globe. It has to be easy to fit together and to disasemble, just simple screws would be ideal. It has to be electric, I can't go lugging fuel around with me. And finally, it has to be a simple design so if I have a little accident, it's easy to rebuild and get going again. I saw an advert for a Multiplex pusher prop flying wing that claimed to be folding and fit into a purpose built bag. Thats the only one I've seen that has a transportable claim, but does anyone know of any other good models or kits ? Thanks

Advert

Not sure just how small it has got to be, but the Multiplex Mini-Mag looks like a proper aeroplane, and is fully aerobatic.  I take it everywhere on holiday with me.   Fitted mine with a 400 inrunner brushless 1800Kv with 7x5 prop and despite having quite an "air force" I probably fly it more than aything else because I can take and fly it anywhere.

If you need smaller than that then there is the new MPX wing you mention, or one of the stronger indoor types (Kyoshoso or JP) that can be flown outdoors.

Forgot to mention Mini-Mag wing is one piece and can be removed/fitted in a jiffy with just one nylon bolt. 

Edited By Romeo Whisky on 15/02/2010 16:13:38

Thanks RW, I was worried about the tail on a conventional style aircraft, I take it yours comes apart so as not to get damaged in transit ? Size isn't really an issue, we usually fly around with full sized chinooks or similar in the back but it has to be portable enough for me to carry around on top of all my kit.

No the tailfeathers are glued on with cyano.  No problem in a vehicle but if you've got to carry it on top of your kit, maybe not so ideal.  The Multiplex Merlin is VERY small and although it is sold as a free-flight glider, loads of folks have adapted them for electric powered RC flight.  You could do a search on this forum and RCGroups to see what's been done with the Merlin.

You can find the details of all Multiplex models at ...

The other possibility is a small EDF jet.   I don't do EDF, but maybe someone else could suggest one.

Edited By Romeo Whisky on 15/02/2010 18:02:52

An MPX merlin might be good. MPX make a purpose made bag to carry it in.

Not sure about the tail feather though.

A slow stick might also be one to look at.

another option might be to build your own to fit your needs (or customise a artf)

A transportable model would be somthing I would be interested in also so I shall be watching this tread to see what turns up.

If you fancy something you built yourself then there are a few plans around for machines which pack into a small case.

Piwakawaka is a great machine, all 4 channels and highly aerobatic. It can also fly with floats.

The other is a PiaB (Plank in a Box) which is an electric wing.

Photobucket

Both are free plans in magazines

Edited By Andy Gates on 15/02/2010 19:19:19

Hotchpotch. 36" span old Radio Modeller plan - was available via the X List so presumably can still be purchased through myhobbystore. An easy build. Both wings and tail are banded on, making it easily transportable. Great fun with PAW a 1.49.

I'm guessing the powers that be wouldn't be terribly chuffed with you carrying a can of diesel fuel.

The electric experts here (i.e. not me) will be able to recommend a suitable alternative set up.

Edited By IanN on 15/02/2010 21:28:22

What about using the time to learn to fly a heli? (Assuming, perhaps incorrectly that you can't fly one already!)

A 400/450 heli packs away well, smaller ones make even smaller packages. OK doesn't quite fit the "simple" criteria - but you could easily pack a small supply of spares - blades, gears etc.

Just a thought - might be your most practical solution.

BEB (who doesn't fly helis himself!)

Xeno looks nice too . I am sure it would not be very hard to find a cheeper alternatve power set.

I just bought an mpx brushless power set for my Easy Star. at over £100 pound it was overpriced IMO. there are better value motors out there.

Edited By Phil B on 16/02/2010 10:44:13

there's a whole range of small, portable models at www.micronradiocontrol.com and www.robotbirds.com . plenty of different flying wings to choose from although if ts a portable wing you're after, you'll be hard pressed to beat the Xeno with a cheaper motor and ESC. Micron has the radical rc range of quick-build kits though which are small and a bit different.

I have travelled with a FlyingWings "Raven".  I "built" it using only tape and a single extra, a thin ply plate taped across the belly side of the wing joint. End fences taped on too, so all you need is a roll of 1" reinforced tape.

Power set is a 1000mAh 3S, EMax CF2812, APC 7x5,  GWS 15A ESC, 2x Supertec Park HPXF....................add that up and you'll see it's not a lot, but performs WAY above its pricing.
 I happened to have the ESC, but would have bought a Hobby Wing one at under £13, have loads in use, all bullet proof reliable.  The cells were under £7, too.  Over a £120 for a power set for a small wing?.............you must be JOKING!!!!!!

So you get a quite fast power plane with that really cheap motor (under £5!!), has good duration, a superb glide, and has been slope soared up several extinct volcanos in the Canaries with the motor and prop left on, even though I'd designed the wiring and taped on mount to remove it quickly, as the prop parks itself behind the wing and the weight was no penalty. Flew one day for ages in about a force three/four tops and never used the motor once.

For Transport, the bare EPP is robust, and the parts pack flat into a suitcase easily.

An excellent little plane that is very aerobatic, hand launches and is equally great flat out (80mph) and slow with glider like landings is the Sig Wonder. A properly rugged traditional, but easy build kit it can be packed into a suitcase and uses either a OS 15 or electric set up. I'm currently building one.

They have a massive follwoing in the states due to their fun/sport flying quailities.

manufacturers website:

Available in the UK for £55 from Pegasus Models in Norfolk.

Click here to see the Sig Wonder

A really great kit, easy to build and a great flyer, from easy fkying sport to agressive racer, all at the touch of a TX switch. Only 18" long and 36" wingspan, easiliy transportable. It onlt takes a few days to build.

Available from Pegasus Models in the UK for 55 quid. By the way, if you want a trad kit, the only place I can find in the UK with a large and diverse stock is Pegasus.

• 2 weeks later...
Another shot of mine, just finished covering, although not yet put the ailerons back on.

Wing is removeable, about 37" span. 2 x std servos (Ail and elev), leccy converted for ease or travelling and can be flown super quick or slow; it has a great glide due to think semi wing.