power supply unit

andy watson

Even as a confirmed IC flier I am finding I am collecting more and more batteries of different sorts for different things.  Because of this I have decided I need to upgrade my charging capability instead of all the wall charger I currently use.  I have bought one of these

The only problem is it is a 12V input- presumeably for all the electric fliers that carry car batteries everywhere with them.  I don't need to charge at the field, and don't want a car battery (which I would also have to charge), I want to run it off the mains.  Can anyone suggest a power supply unit that will run the charger.

As a note I should say that price is an issue, and I don't really want to start soldering connectors and things.

Advert

I use home made 12V PSUs from old  ( free ) PCs - but if the very simple work involved in converting them is not your bag, then why not get something like THIS
Alternatively, scour around for an old laptop PSU or similar - most chargers are happy on up to 18V input, so anything thats around 3 - 5A capable at those sort of voltage sj hould do you for now.

I've been using a Traco 12v supply on my Logic RC Typhoon charger for ages now with no problems. You just need to make sure the power supply can push out the same or just a bit more than the charger. In your case 5amps. I might even have a spare one in the garage i can sell you. PM me if you're interested. I'll have a look later to see what amps it can deal with.

Andy,

I don't know about a laptop charger? Looking at mine it puts out 4.7 amps (which is OK) but at 19.6volts - which seems a bit high to me for a device rated nominally at 12volts input. I know I lot of the electric guys connect there's to 12 lead acid which can be up to 14.7 volts - but 19.6 is a lot higher again. It would probably be OK - but it might be wiser to follow Ken's route and get yourself something rated "on the nose" at 12volts and 5A.

I use an Overlander system and they supplied the power supply for it - they might sell them separate I dunno. But someone like Maplins are probably going to be cheaper.

Just a thought.

BEB

The specs for the charger give an input voltage range of 10.5-18.0v.  So Andy's 15v laptop charger sounds OK - if it's got the current capability,  but I agree with BEB - his laptop charger is a little on the high (voltage) side...

I use a modified PC PSU for my charger.  There are plenty of articles on the web detailing what you need to do.

Edited By John Privett on 18/02/2010 21:10:49

• 9 months later...
Posted by Tim Mackey - Administrator on 18/02/2010 15:33:03:
I use home made 12V PSUs from old  ( free ) PCs - but if the very simple work involved in converting them is not your bag.......

I have a redundant PC in the loft and would like to have a go at that.

I understand that its important for the capacitors to be fully discharged to avoid the possibility of a shock. This particular one has been disconnected and idle for three or four years, so shoucd be safe in that respect?

Is there an  topic  or article anywhere you could point me at that covers extracting the PC PSU, and converting it to modelling use?

Coincidently I'm about to do exactly this.  I have the power supply, and as a temporary measure I've just connected to one of the disk drive cables.

My question .. where do you guys buy your non-modelling specific electronic bits and pieces?  For example those binding posts, of which I want Black (Gnd), Red (5v) and Yellow (12v) for consistency.    There must be some sort of equivalent to Giant Cod for hobby electronics.

Tim, I already had the article from that first link, but paragraphs like

"If you DO have a sense wire for the 3.3v. , connecting the the 3.3 v. part of the supply, using the 3.3v. voltage as a buck voltage against, say the 12v. to get 8.7v. will not work. You will see 8.7 v. with a volt meter but when you load that 8.7v. circuit the power supply may..." etc etc etc

didn't exactly fit with my - maybe optimistic - view of the "very simple work involved in converting them".

Sense wire? Buck voltage?   

If that means that I don't have enough knowledge, or shouldn't be attempting the task, then so be it

I probably CAN do this - I just need to read it in terms that I understand and give me confidence that I can do the job safely

on my ex-pc power supply I just paralleled a couple of 10w 10 ohm (iirc) resistors between the 3.3v orange wires and the black common grounds.  The design of the power supplies needs a small load on the 3.3v rail to latch the power supply on.
With the 12v and ground wires split between two sets of sockets, and the 5v to another  I can run 1*5A and 1*10A charger simultaneously, and the 5v supply is good for setting up receivers and servos at home.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 21/11/2010 23:19:57

Posted by IanN on 21/11/2010 23:07:19:

"If you DO have a sense wire for the 3.3v. , connecting the the 3.3 v. part of the supply, using the 3.3v. voltage as a buck voltage against, say the 12v. to get 8.7v. will not work. You will see 8.7 v. with a volt meter but when you load that 8.7v. circuit the power supply may..." etc etc etc

That's referring to people hoping to combine the different outputs together to get different voltages.   Not an issue to use the outputs as they are.