photos

John  Tee

Hello all.
I've been "eavesdropping "on the cafe thread for a few months and have a minor problem with some of the photos posted. Most I can see but there are others that are just a framework with a red cross at top left . it's frustrating when others can obviously see them but not me. I did see on another thread that they may be deleted or a problem with java settings, but why can I see some and not others.

Thanks John 

Advert

Hi John

Typically I can't find an example on the cafe thread I mentioned, but on

"main topics/ vintage models/ vintage models thread of 29/11/2009"

there should be a picture of a Lanzo Record Breaker as posted by Simon Chaddock  but as I said before there is just an empty frame.

sorry not to reply last night but logged off early.

John

Hi All. Thanks for the replies. I found ref. to deleted photos on another thread. I'm using Vista Home premium but I dont think thats the prob. As I said in the first post  I seem to have to change thread and then come back to ths one to see replies. I assumed from watching other threads that replies just popped up at the b ottom as in windows messenger.

thanks again John.

The Lanzo Record Breaker pic is being displayed (or not!) from a forum member's picture gallery.  That image no longer exists in the name/location given.  I expect the owner of it has either deleted the image or maybe renamed it.

As for the page refreshing - no it shouldn't do what you're expecting it to.  This isn't Instant Messenger, so it doesn't behave like IM.  Replies will only appear when you refresh the page.  Most web pages behave the same way.  For instance, if you view the BBC News Page then (apart from the scrolling "ticker tape" at the top) the page doesn't change when new stories are published on it until you refresh the page.

Many  thanks John. all my queries have been dealt with thanks. Must remember to refresh more often. Been out to an indoor flying session tonight. It;s amazing what can be done these days.
Thanks again for all the replies. Perhaps I will now join in more threads,its not so nerve racking as I thought.
John

John - when you post a reply in a thread you can click the box marked "Send me email notifications when someone replies to this thread (This will add the thread to your Bookmarks list)"

Then - as it says - you'll get an email whenever new posts are added to that thread.  Also, usually when I read posts here, I click on the "Latest Posts" link.  This then lists the threads that have recent additions - with the most recent at the top.  Try it and see.

Hi John. Coincidentally I had been playing with the latest posts links last night. It's good as you can see additions to threads you have been following. I must have ticked the email box at some time as I have had emails in the past, usually when I entered the give aways. Thanks again John

Posted by Ultymate on 27/02/2010 15:24:57:
This problem usually means that the said photo has been removed from the hosting site and is no longer visible to anyone. It usually crops up on old long running threads.

Ultymate is exactly right.

I "tidied up" and deleted some old photos recently. When I read the above posts, and went back and checked, I found those pics I'd deleted are no longer visible on the forum.

Whoops

Timbo, it might be worth doing an up to date "inserting photos" sticky that includes this info?

"Behind the scenes" when you add a photo to a post,  the forum software is putting a link to the location of that photo.  Now that might be a photo on a forum gallery,  or it might be a photo on an external page - maybe on somebody's personal webpage, or a photo site like Flickr.  Wherever the picture is, it's the link to it, rather than the picture itself, that's added to the post.

Anyway,  when somebody later views the post,  the post has that link to the picture.  Your browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera or whatever...) then retrieves the picture from that link and displays it on the screen. 

Now if, in the meantime, the picture has been removed then clearly your browser can't display it!  What it then does will depend on the specific browser.  Internet Explorer (from memory) will display a "box" with a red X in it - meaning, there's meant to be a picture here,  but I can't find it!  Firefox will instead display the alternative text that the forum software included for the picture (in this case it's the filename of the picture.)