Rivets

Tim Hooper

So when the full-sized aeroplane spanned a mere 18ft, a 1/6 model is still a tiddler at 36"!

So here's the latest refugee from the building board.

She features a flat-plate wing and all-sheet construction.  Power comes from a proven set-up; Typhoon 15/10, 8x6 APC, 3S 1800mah li-po.

I'm almost at the covering stage........

Flat plate wing.

Basic fuselage construction.

Some seriously sexy spats from balsa.

General view of the underside.

Pinned together for the very first time.

No, that's not me.

Edited By Tim Hooper on 28/02/2010 09:04:09

Advert

Great looking plane, Tim. One of my all time favourites . Brilliant stuff!

And WHAT a coincidence. I'm doing almost exactly the same, though you're a good way ahead of me on your build. I've just got the scaled outline drawn and some parts cut: project now on hold whilst I finish Hoehnia.

Drawing to 1 / 5.9 scale, which is what I reckoned Tony Nijhuis's racing pair were, gave me a 36.1" span Rivets. OS 25LA going in mine

I've got a couple of plans of larger Rivets models, and was intending to use the CoG from those as a starting point. I can dig those out now and send you that info if its any help

Cheers Guys!

Ian,  so you're doing one too?  Marvellous!  I worked the CG to my usual 28% MAC, which equates to 100mm behind the LE at the root (exactly where the side cheeks end), but I'd love any further info you may have access to.

Ton,  I think I've developed Hawes Syndrome - a morbid fear of wingribs.......  Actually, I just wanted to make a quick-build sport model.  Yes, I've used the flat-plate configuration a few times now.  The purists may turn up their noses, but at this scale there's no denying that it works very well!

tim

Tim, by LE "at the root", I'm assuming you mean the point at which the LE meets the fus side (NOT the LE which you would find at the fus centreline, in plan view, if you extended both LEs to the point where they intersect)

I've looked at both the plans I have, and measuring chord from the point where the LE meets the fus side...

Tony Dowdeswell's aircraft - a semi scale Rivets, stretched to meet the then FAI pylon rules - balances at 36.6% chord. Apologies for poor scan quality...

Al Greenwoods F1 racing model (nearer scale) shows balance point at 42.4%
Not saying your fig is right or wrong - I'm a good way off being ready to calculate my own yet - just passing on what I have. Happy to send you a scan of the relevant part of each plan. PM me your email addy if that would help

Posted by IanN on 28/02/2010 17:55:48:

Tim, by LE "at the root", I'm assuming you mean the point at which the LE meets the fus side (NOT the LE which you would find at the fus centreline, in plan view, if you extended both LEs to the point where they intersect)

I've looked at both the plans I have, and measuring chord from the point where the LE meets the fus side...

Tony Dowdeswell's aircraft - a semi scale Rivets, stretched to meet the then FAI pylon rules - balances at 36.6% chord. Apologies for poor scan quality...

Al Greenwoods F1 racing model (nearer scale) shows balance point at 42.4%

Thanks Ian!

Yes I meant the point where the wing's LE intersects with the fuselage side.  I've just had a quick measure up and my projected 28%MAC equates to 42.37% of the root chord - almost the same as Al Greenwoods model.  Spooky, or what?  Still, it would indicate that I'm on the right track!

Pete, thanks for the vailidation!

tim

Ian,

I'm going for the earlier red/silver scheme.  Red and yellow look a little too much like a model aeroplane!

Peter,

As Ian has pointed out the full-sized Rivets had reflexed wingtips, which the model will emulate.  Just a matter of cutting them loose, and re-attaching at a slight angle.

As for the elevator, I've made the fin out of 1/4" sheet - thick enough to take a groove in one side for the micro snake I'm using.

tim

I was not sure it was the same design, but it looks very similar!
There was a plan for a 26 inch span Rivets in RCME May 1984.  This had a 6.5 inch chord at root and the CG was shown at 2.5 inch back from LE at fuselage.  No dihedral except flat on top of the tapered wing.  The design is by "RCME staff " which might be David Boddington.

Posted by kc on 05/03/2010 18:50:04:

There was a plan for a 26 inch span Rivets in RCME May 1984.  This had a 6.5 inch chord at root and the CG was shown at 2.5 inch back from LE at fuselage.  No dihedral except flat on top of the tapered wing.  The design is by "RCME staff " which might be David Boddington.

I know!  That was the original inspiration for my model!

26" span, no throttle and a screamin Cox .020 up front!

Thanks for the info on 'Sumpin Else' though.  I wasn't aware of that one.....

tim

Edited By Tim Hooper on 05/03/2010 21:06:51

Some more progress!

The model is covered in the 'earlier' scheme of red and silver, and I'm going to see if it flies before I tackle all those fiddly little registration markings.

With the wings at zero-zero, I've used a set square to set the tailplane incidence.

Pilot Bill is now esconced in his cockpit.

Finally a shot of the full-sized aeroplane.  Big, isn't it?

It flies!!!

I took advantage of a small weather window this afternoon, and headed down to the field.

With range checks complete, I taxied the model out to the middle of the grass strip, did a complete turn in each direction, lined up into wind and then steadily opened up the throttle.

Rivets accelerated rapidly in a dead-straight line, and after about 20 yards I let the model leave the ground and head skywards. From the instant it took to the air I knew it was 'right' - you know the feeling?

True it needed a click of up trim to keep it level, and it's apparent that the elevator is a little too enthusiastic in its operation (nothing a reduction in throw won't sort out), but this is going to be one 'groovy' model. It goes exactly where its pointed, and at quite a high rate of knots too!

As it headed off downwind, though, the elevator started to glitch quite severely, so after a series of quite spectacular aerobatics, I managed to close the throttle and, having plenty of height in hand, let the model glide back to the strip. Flaring out saw the model land in a textbook 3-pointer - much to my relief!

So there we have it. What I need to do now is to fettle the radio installation a little (move the rx. further from the ESC), and have a think about adding the markings.

Hopefully, we'll get some pics next time out......

tim

Great stuff.

Now that I've finished the Hoehnia build I'll be turning back to my i.c. Rivets. Sounds like your balance worked out fine. I'd be interested in knowing your final aileron and ele movements, when you've settled on them

Edited By IanN on 19/03/2010 22:28:02